Fruits to Use (in Funky [multigrainedSaisons!)?

Reads 2069 • Replies 14 • Started Sunday, December 18, 2016 12:52:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
08:02 Mon 12/19/2016

Never been into fruiting or spicing my saisons. Might be cool to copitch some brett and dry hop it, though.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 09:15 Mon 12/19/2016

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Never been into fruiting or spicing my saisons. Might be cool to copitch some brett and dry hop it, though.
I, as a general rule, hate spices in saisons, as well. I was simply flirting with the idea.

Brett with a dry-hopping addition is a solid move. Many breweries take advantage of this step. I was just drinking a dry-hopped brett saison the other day I thoroughly enjoyed wherein no fruit had been involved.
I just like the flavor a subtle, barely distinguishable, addition that some stone fruits have in saisons.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 15:11 Mon 12/19/2016

I think cardamom has been the only spice I have truly ever even considered enjoying in a saison.

derA
beers 92 º places 106 º 07:51 Sat 1/14/2017

Originally posted by radarsock
Kind of a tie-in to my latest homebrew post. Was wondering what fruits would best go with a multigrain saison.
Apricots in the secondary? Peaches? Definitely wanted to go with the drupe route (peach/nectarine/damson).

It will feature a white wheat/flaked wheat combo (making up 21.68%, adding them together) and 9.09% spelt malt.

Cereal mash may be useful now that I’ve upgraded my wheat bill.

My experience with apricots in brandy and nectarines in beer have taught me that you really have to think about which aspect of those fruits you want to integrate: There is the tartness and refreshing peach/apricot/nectarine quality that you get from eating the firm fruit and there is the typical nectarine/peach/apricot smell that you perceive when they become very ripe and soft. If you add these fruit when they are still a little underripe, firm and tart, you obviously get the first. This can work well in some beer styles, especially if you have some complex sugars that you want to cut. However, if you are looking for the smell of apricots or that typical peach orchard smell, then you have to be careful to only select the fruit that are actually overripe. The ones that feel like they will disintegrate the next day: use those.
In both cases, you should account for the fact that apricots, peaches and nectarines tend to have quite a high water content for the amount of fermentable sugars, although I guess in a secondary fermentation this is not overly relevant.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer