German bars/restaurants in STL?

Reads 704 • Replies 6 • Started Friday, December 7, 2012 10:08:43 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cubs
beers 10721 º places 420 º 22:08 Fri 12/7/2012

Are there any cool German bars or restaurants in the St. Louis area? I’m visiting in January during my birthday and I’d love to get a nice German meal a few liters of tasty German beers. Prost!

beastiefan2k
beers 4116 º places 259 º 07:21 Sun 12/9/2012

There are a lot of good breweries in town you should definitely try and pappy’s BBQ. Not sure about kraut food.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1603 º places 353 º 09:41 Sun 12/9/2012

Originally posted by adnielsen
Are there any cool German bars or restaurants in the St. Louis area? I’m visiting in January during my birthday and I’d love to get a nice German meal a few liters of tasty German beers. Prost!

There are a couple of places like that, some more German than others. I can’t vouch for all of them. I think your best bet is Urban Chestnut, with a Bavarian brewer, German-influenced craft beers and a proper Biergarten with chalet and long tables (not sure if it’s open in winter).

The one I’ve seen and not visited, and what might be what you have in mind, is the Gasthaus on 18th and Choteau. I haven’t prioritized drinking German beer in STL when there are so many great local ones, but maybe I should sometime -- that place looks like the real deal.

cubs
beers 10721 º places 420 º 20:18 Wed 12/12/2012

thanks guys

vyvvy
beers 6775 º places 26 º 21:36 Thu 12/13/2012

Definitely go with Urban Chestnut. The head brewer is from Germany and was trained at Weihenstephan. Not all beers are German, but its pretty much quality down the line. Like posted earlier, I doubt the great biergarden is open now, but the brewpub itself is a pretty nice place.

jandd1983
beers 4637 º places 276 º 17:56 Fri 12/14/2012

Second the Urban Chestnut visit. There are other Geman restaurants in the area, just google them. Let us know when you are in town, would like to meet up with you.

phaleslu
beers 10747 º places 593 º 08:39 Sat 12/15/2012

Matt, the bartender/co-owner at The Fortune Teller Bar (which I’ll add here once I visit), says Dreamland Palace in Waterloo, IL is the best German restaurant in the STL area. He’s hardcore about German history and beer heritage. He says Gasthaus is good, used to be better, and has gone through some management changes over the year that have resulted in a wide range of experiences there.

Otherwise, not a whole lot of options for true German restaurants/bars. Urban Chestnut is great, and the brewer is Bavarian. Has anyone been to Bevo Mill? Is it still open as a restaurant or just for events?

I haven’t been, but the Feasting Fox on South Grand is a traditional German-American dining room. There’s also Schneithorsts in Frontenac on Lindbergh (15 minutes west of downtown) and I haven’t been there despite having gone to high school up the road from it. But those might both be solid options for what you’re seeking.