Germany Advice

Reads 7253 • Replies 88 • Started Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:19:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 09:59 Tue 2/5/2013

Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Originally posted by JK
Has anyone stayed at Fassla? 60 Euros/night looks like a good value.

I’m staying there in March. I’ve heard good things. It is a little bare bones, but clean and fun. Good breakfast.

I emailed them to make a reservation. I used Google Translate, and they got back to me in German. It was pretty simple.

How did you book the room? I would like to avoid sending the international fax.
[
I emailed them. Asking for a dopple-zimmer.

I wrote everything in English and used google translate for the german. I sent the email in german and English.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 10:17 Tue 2/5/2013

Yeah, I just did not want to be that guy who cant follow simple instructions. Bur if others are emailong, I will too.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 01:17 Thu 2/7/2013

Be careful with translating webbies, they can hose things up quite a bit. I’ve never stayed at Fäßla, but IIRC, this is the place with notoriously bad communication up front. Best bet is to call and ask for Roland Kalb, the guy who speaks English: "Roland Kalb, bitte." (Pronounce Kalb like ball.)

Also, don’t pay in advance for hotel bookings, it’s simply not necessary and will crimp your flexibility, should you later want to spontaneously change travel plans.

AFA Regensburg goes, yeah, if you’ve been to Bavaria numerous times, I can see recommending the place. But to a first-time visitor on limited time...really?

Yeah, it’s all about what one wants to do and see with their time.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 05:51 Thu 2/7/2013

We booked by email, no problem.

alac65
10:50 Thu 2/7/2013

Go anywhere, where you want to go but travelling at your own vehicle is the best idea for you. You can rant a car and travel where you want. I think this is best option than public transports.
http://www.wingshinterlandretreat.com/
Wings Hinterland Retreat
31 Red Oak Drive Tallai QLD 4213 Australia
Phone : +61 407 037 811
wingshinterlandretreat.com
Massive Luxury Holiday Home for 21 persons. Perfect for Family Holidays or corporate getaways.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 11:25 Thu 2/7/2013

Originally posted by alac65
Go anywhere, where you want to go but travelling at your own vehicle is the best idea for you. You can rant a car and travel where you want. I think this is best option than public transports.

OK, why?

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 11:28 Thu 2/7/2013

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Be careful with translating webbies, they can hose things up quite a bit. I’ve never stayed at Fäßla, but IIRC, this is the place with notoriously bad communication up front. Best bet is to call and ask for Roland Kalb, the guy who speaks English: "Roland Kalb, bitte." (Pronounce Kalb like ball.)

Also, don’t pay in advance for hotel bookings, it’s simply not necessary and will crimp your flexibility, should you later want to spontaneously change travel plans.

AFA Regensburg goes, yeah, if you’ve been to Bavaria numerous times, I can see recommending the place. But to a first-time visitor on limited time...really?

What do you think of cutting out Regensburg and Berchtesgaden? After Salzburg, return to Munich, then south to Garmisch, then rent a car to Fussen area and drive north to Wurzburg & train to Cologne?

AtomicPunk67
11:30 Thu 2/7/2013

Did not see if it was mentioned, when in Regensberg your MUST eat the brats at Historische Wurstkuch’l... 500+ years old and fantastic. Go early it gets crowded (poor service).

Rothenberg is very touristy, but still a good stop. Better in the evening as it thins out.

Lots of good advice so far.

humlelala
beers 1377 º places 89 º 12:35 Thu 2/7/2013

An idea for accommodation perhaps:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/213370

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:21 Sat 2/9/2013

Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by Erlangernick

What do you think of cutting out Regensburg and Berchtesgaden? After Salzburg, return to Munich, then south to Garmisch, then rent a car to Fussen area and drive north to Wurzburg & train to Cologne?

I’ve never been to either Berchtesgarden or Garmisch, but near Garmisch. Not sure what the appeal is of the latter, but the former looks absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. My gut feel is to cut Garmisch in favor of Berchtesgaden.

Remind us again of your itinerary as it stands now, eh? I would absolutely cut Regensburg, if you’re thinking of it as a day-trip from either Münich or Bamberg. It’s a lot of travel time to invest for a day-trip, and just not worth checking into and out of a hotel for. Not for a trip as short as yours, anyway.

Würzburg is more worthy of a visit than Regensburg, because the countryside is quite lovely and the palace is worth a visit IMO. The beer’s fecking miserable though...compared to "Bierfranken". Würzburg is in "Weinfranken", and the wine’s great, if that’s your thing.

By car or train...looks to me that you’d save an hour by driving from Salzburg to Füssen over taking the train: 3 instead of 4 hours. From Füssen to Würzburg is 2:45 by car or 4+ hours by train.

Another idea: Freiburg instead of Würzburg. The city’s cooler IMO, only a half hour or so longer to drive to from Füssen, and only 40 minutes longer to get to Köln than from Würzburg. Another part of the country to get a bit of a feel of, too.