Germany Advice

Reads 7259 • Replies 88 • Started Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:19:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 09:17 Sat 2/9/2013

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by JK
Be careful with translating webbies, they can hose things up quite a bit. I’ve never stayed at Fäßla, but IIRC, this is the place with notoriously bad communication up front. Best bet is to call and ask for Roland Kalb, the guy who speaks English: "Roland Kalb, bitte." (Pronounce Kalb like ball.)

Also, don’t pay in advance for hotel bookings, it’s simply not necessary and will crimp your flexibility, should you later want to spontaneously change travel plans.

AFA Regensburg goes, yeah, if you’ve been to Bavaria numerous times, I can see recommending the place. But to a first-time visitor on limited time...really?

Yeah, it’s all about what one wants to do and see with their time.

What do you think of cutting out Regensburg and Berchtesgaden? After Salzburg, return to Munich, then south to Garmisch, then rent a car to Fussen area and drive north to Wurzburg & train to Cologne?

I’ve never been to either Berchtesgarden or Garmisch, but near Garmisch. Not sure what the appeal is of the latter, but the former looks absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. My gut feel is to cut Garmisch in favor of Berchtesgaden.

Remind us again of your itinerary as it stands now, eh? I would absolutely cut Regensburg, if you’re thinking of it as a day-trip from either Münich or Bamberg. It’s a lot of travel time to invest for a day-trip, and just not worth checking into and out of a hotel for. Not for a trip as short as yours, anyway.

Würzburg is more worthy of a visit than Regensburg, because the countryside is quite lovely and the palace is worth a visit IMO. The beer’s fecking miserable though...compared to "Bierfranken". Würzburg is in "Weinfranken", and the wine’s great, if that’s your thing.

By car or train...looks to me that you’d save an hour by driving from Salzburg to Füssen over taking the train: 3 instead of 4 hours. From Füssen to Würzburg is 2:45 by car or 4+ hours by train.

Another idea: Freiburg instead of Würzburg. The city’s cooler IMO, only a half hour or so longer to drive to from Füssen, and only 40 minutes longer to get to Köln than from Würzburg. Another part of the country to get a bit of a feel of, too.

Current itinerary:

Into Nuremburg on April 19, 2 nights. Train to Bamberg for three nights. Train to Salzburg for 2 nights. Train to Munich for 2 nights.

From there, uncertain. Flying out of Cologne May 6th.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:22 Sun 2/10/2013

Can’t possibly recommend switching the two nights in Nürnberg to Bamberg highly enough! It’s not far by train between the two for a day trip to Nürnberg from Bamberg (*), and Bamberg is so much more worthy of the extra time.

But that’s just me.

(*Assuming, that is, that once you get settled into Bamberg, you’d even consider leaving.)

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 08:45 Sun 2/10/2013

Can’t possibly recommend switching the two nights in Nürnberg to Bamberg highly enough! It’s not far by train between the two for a day trip to Nürnberg from Bamberg (*), and Bamberg is so much more worthy of the extra time.

But that’s just me.

(*Assuming, that is, that once you get settled into Bamberg, you’d even consider leaving.)

It is really only one and one half day in Nurnberg at it includes our arrival day. I think there is enough beer and things to see for that limited time. Being this is my first time in Germany, I am trying to see a few different areas. If Bamberg is that wonderful, no doubt I will be back.

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 19:18 Mon 2/11/2013

^ Nuremburg’s fun but it was largely rebuilt post-war. Bamberg has more ancient charm.

Nuremburg does have a ’beer tunnels’ tour and some classic Würstle that you order by the half-dozens (if you ever see Thüringen sausage anywhere else it can be very similar, spiced with lots of marjoram.)

The food in Germany can be UNREAL - usually basic ingredients, often super-tasty & somewhat heavy. URP.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:17 Tue 2/12/2013

Originally posted by JK

But that’s just me.

It is really only one and one half day in Nurnberg at it includes our arrival day. I think there is enough beer and things to see for that limited time. Being this is my first time in Germany, I am trying to see a few different areas. If Bamberg is that wonderful, no doubt I will be back.

Certainly. Like I said, don’t pay in advance for any hotels, so you can change your plans if you want to.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 11:38 Mon 3/11/2013

Booked hotels in Nuremburg (2 nights) and Faessla in Bamberg (3 nights), then its down to Salzburg (2 nights), Munich (2 nights), car to Fussen (1 night) and Neuschwanstein, driving to Rothenburg (1 night), Wurzburg, and dropping the car in Cologne, then 4 nights in the Cologne area.

Is there any beer worth looking for in the Cologne Belgian quarter?

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 11:57 Mon 3/11/2013

Cologne has all of the breweries withine walking distance of the river. The beer museum is a nice place if you want something other than Kolsch. Try to stick around the Nuemacht (sp). Park under it and wander around. With Karnival ending a few weeks ago, it is not as interesting as is just was.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 08:54 Sat 3/16/2013

Originally posted by JK
Booked hotels in Nuremburg (2 nights) and Faessla in Bamberg (3 nights), then its down to Salzburg (2 nights), Munich (2 nights), car to Fussen (1 night) and Neuschwanstein, driving to Rothenburg (1 night), Wurzburg, and dropping the car in Cologne, then 4 nights in the Cologne area.

Is there any beer worth looking for in the Cologne Belgian quarter?

Might get lucky and find Leffe?