Germany

Reads 2690 • Replies 26 • Started Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:25:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 12:25 Thu 7/26/2012

I am heading to Cologne through Frankfurt arriving on the 12th for a week work trip, and heading back to Frankfurt on the 17th. Where can i go on the Sunday? I know that i will stop at maruhn to pick up beer on the way home, but is there anywhere else i need to stop at? Any suggestions would be great.

suprchunk
beers 2996 º places 147 º 12:29 Thu 7/26/2012

Good luck on Sunday. There might be the tourist traps open.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 12:37 Thu 7/26/2012

I’ll just miss you. I’ll be between Dusseldorf and Trier, with a small trip to Antwerp, the10th through the 12th, but flying out the 13th. Germany is closed on Sundays. It is illegal to work or to make noise, except leisure sounds.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 12:39 Thu 7/26/2012

Fortunately, beer is a leisure activity in Germany, so it’s legal (almost required) on Sundays. Not like some backwaters in the USA.

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 12:46 Thu 7/26/2012

Anyone up for an in person trade?

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 23:16 Thu 7/26/2012

Originally posted by Travlr
I’ll just miss you. I’ll be between Dusseldorf and Trier, with a small trip to Antwerp, the10th through the 12th, but flying out the 13th. Germany is closed on Sundays. It is illegal to work or to make noise, except leisure sounds.

To nitpick, it’s not illegal to work on Sundays. It is illegal to operate various sales businesses though, except those which are specifically intended for travellers to use, like gas stations and shops at train stations and airports.

Depends on what the OP wants to do on the Sunday -- buy bottled beer, S.O.L. Drink beer and eat, an excellent idea.

User37895
beers 3085 º places 92 º 03:09 Fri 7/27/2012

Hit the altstadt in Koln and you will have a great time. Since Kolsch is served in 0.2 or 0.25 L glasses, you can opt for as many at a single location, or move around to get a feel for the style. You’ll never experience the style anywhere else, so go for it!

If you get a second day, I HIGHLY recommend a short trip to Dusseldorf from Koln. Same deal there, w.r.t. the altbier. Highly worth it.

Frankfurt stinks from a beer scene perspective, so it is worth looking up these other two cities!

ThirstyBird
beers 3099 º places 53 º 03:30 Fri 7/27/2012

I would recommend hitting the Braustelle in Cologne. http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/gasthaus-brauerei-braustelle/5537/
They have a wonderful unfiltered kolsch plus other unusual beers. I also enjoyed Muhlen Kolsch and as I understand it they are the only one of the old breweries to still brew on premises at the brewpub.
http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/malzmuhle-brauerei-schwartz/1313/

I would also recommend a visit to Dusseldorf even if you can come in for a weekday evening. If you plan on visiting Dusseldorf message me and I’d be happy to meet up with you and show you around.

Enjoy your visit!

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 05:11 Fri 7/27/2012

Thanks for the offer. I am staying in Seigborg and working in Lohmar. Being that i have been to Cologne a few times, Dusseldorf might make the better choice. I will probably hit you up for that Sunday. Thanks for the invite man!

ThirstyBird
beers 3099 º places 53 º 14:32 Fri 7/27/2012

I am actually meeting up with Travlr that Sunday to hit the Düsseldorf alt breweries. Hopefully you can meet up with us. Do you have a German mobile?

So you are a bit south of Köln...it takes about 35-40 minutes on an RE train to Düsseldorf from Köln Hbf FYI.

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 16:30 Fri 7/27/2012

I will have a car, and a work phone. So i can go anywhere.