Great Taste of the Midwest 2013 Thread

Reads 18254 • Replies 296 • Started Sunday, May 5, 2013 10:49:10 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

levifunk
beers 12 º 11:53 Thu 8/8/2013

Originally posted by Keir
Make sure you try Side Project’s Blueberry Flanders at the Perennial booth. Side Project Brewing is head brewer Cory King’s side project: all barrel-aged beer. It isn’t listed on the program.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I’ll be hanging around the Perennial booth quite a bit ;)

O’so has 6 beers they are tapping that are not on the program as well. Official info I believed should come out tomorrow, but 1 of them is a Sour Blonde (might be called "LO"). Its blonde wort that went into emptied lambic barrels to ferment. Look for that.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:55 Thu 8/8/2013

Oh snaps, Levi.. Neate!

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 12:12 Thu 8/8/2013

Will for sure hit that up, Levi, though these unannounced releases are messing up my master plan.

Really tightening up who I want to hit this year. It feels like in years past I had over 100 beers I wanted to try. This year it’s more like 50.

levifunk
beers 12 º 12:28 Thu 8/8/2013

Feel the same. I don’t think it is due to lower quality though. I think we are just spoiled on an ongoing basis that that bar is set higher every year. It takes quite a bit to get you excited (that’s what she said).

That being said, I am looking forward to not running around like a mad man and instead stopping to try a new mead or cider, cozy up to the real ale tent, and drink a ton of great IPAs.

jeffmw
places 14 º 12:38 Thu 8/8/2013

Originally posted by madvike
Originally posted by jeffmw
How long are waits/lines typically -- as in, what’s average for a small/lesser-known brewery and what’s noral for a Surly or Goose? Also, how quickly do stands typically run out of a beer -- both for the all-day beers or the special tappings? If you really want to try something is it pretty guaranteed you’ll get it?

If you’re a douchebag line-cutter: The lines are very short and every beer is quick to get!

If you’re not a douchebag line-cutter: If you’re at the booth at the time of release, you’ll probably get it. For the rarer, more hyped releases, it’s usually a good idea to line up 5-10 minutes before a release if you REALLY want to make sure you get it. But then you’ve spent maybe 20 minutes for just one beer. All depends on how you want to spend your time.

Most of the big/popular breweries have lines at least 5 deep at all times. You can usually walk right up to the smaller breweries. Real ale tent can get REAL crowded but it’s a blast. There’s so much beer to be had there.

That seems pretty typical of what I was expecting. And 5-deep doesn’t seem so terrible. I’ve been to wine festivals where you can wait 15-20 minutes for a sample. And if you want to try 3-4 different samples from a single place, that can be a huge pain in the ass.

I’ve got a list of 60-70 or so beers for Saturday from around 40 different breweries that are "priorities" -- some are big/popular breweries but a lot aren’t. I suppose I should be optimistic. But it sounds like planning your day around a load of special time tappings is difficult.

I’m also volunteering from 1-3 so my day will be divided. Gonna have to try and hit a lot of the real popular stuff during the volunteer hour (noon-1) and then cover everything else from 3-6.

Keir
beers 183 º places 1 º 13:23 Thu 8/8/2013

Levi, Cory posted earlier this afternoon that it will be in the Real Ale tent.

BTW, how crazy is the Real Ale tent? Our first time going.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 13:24 Thu 8/8/2013

Originally posted by Keir
Levi, Cory posted earlier this afternoon that it will be in the Real Ale tent.

BTW, how crazy is the Real Ale tent? Our first time going.

Very crazy early on to get the killer stuff. Less crazy around 3pm.

Keir
beers 183 º places 1 º 14:15 Thu 8/8/2013

Thanks Cory!

Dunt
beers 321 º 14:22 Thu 8/8/2013

Originally posted by cory_king
Whoa, really glad that jckp64 told me about this thread...

Forgive me as I type this from my phone, in the car, on the way to Madison...

Side Project Brewing is my gypsy brewery. I’m also the head brewer at Perennial Artisan Ales. The Blueberry Flanders from Perennial that showed up at FOBAB and GTMW last year was my recipe and should now be retired as thats a formulation of mine that Im bringing from Perennial over to Side Project. That barrel housed an awesome blend of yeast and bacteria that I brought to Side Project. I even brought original barrel. That culture was used to brew the Blueberry Flanders for Side Project that is starting to make appearances, and instead of only one barrel of this beer like at Perennial, at Side Project I’ve filled 12 red wine barrels with a slightly altered base recipe and the same microbes. Full production release is expected in 2014 through Side Project.

So, at the GTMW this weekend, I have a cask of the base Flanders from one of the Side Project barrels with a load of fresh blueberries in the cask. This is the same way I did it last year for this Fest and the result is very similar. Obviously, the production release will involve this Flanders after the blueberries in the barrels have been fermented, so I don’t release bottle bombs...

Side Project is a completely different business from Perennial, we just share some space, knowledge, expenses and they get to keep me there day to day for production and innovation while I slowly grow Side Project into what I want to be as a farmhouse brewery out in the Missouri wine country with our own barrel warehouse.

If you’re at the GTMW this weekend, look for the Blueberry Flanders in the Real Ale Tent and I’ll probably be the only person there with a Side Project shirt on...

Hope this all made sense, hard to edit from my phone.
Cheers.

Cory King
Owner/Brewer - Side Project Brewing
Head Brewer - Perennial Artisan Ales

I mean, I would totally rock a Side Project shirt if you want

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 14:32 Thu 8/8/2013

Thanks for chiming in Cory.

We love brewers that do.

Ill be sure to swing by and say hi before the gates open.

Cheers