Has Rolling Rock Changed Lately?

Reads 5095 • Replies 20 • Started Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:01:56 PM CT

Thread Frozen

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 14:01 Tue 3/11/2014

Times are tough and I saw an 18 pack of Rolling Rock bottles on sale recently, which I grabbed. I havenít had it in a while, but I like the iconic painted bottles and I historically havenít thought it tasted that bad for an adjunct lager. Gives me some different adjunct lagers to choose from when I open my fridge. ;) My father used to drink these.

I twisted open my first bottle from the pack, and it tastes like seltzer water. Iím really getting almost no malts on the front end. On the back end is pleasant bite that I normally might associate with hops, but I think itís really a bit of hops and whatever they put in Heineken (Which really is fine for this price category- a plus, even, relative to the overly sweet macro beers that are more common). ;) There are some mild malts and traditional beer taste when I let it sit on my tongue for a while or hanging around at the back of my throat.

The back end and the bite is kind of what I remember, but I thought there was a bit more in the way of malt in the old days. The front end of this on the first few sips really does say "water" to me, kind of like some light beers, but this isnít a light beer.

The more I drink it, the fuller the taste, so maybe thereís just a re-adjustment period. I grabbed it when I finished walking the dog and my mouth was expecting an IPA. ;) Maybe I should have let my taste buds know in advance so they didnít go into shock and stop registering taste. ;)

I also having been drinking some Yuengling lately, which is heavy on the malts for an adjunct lager, and from a green bottle as well, so maybe I was subconsciously expecting that.

Just curious about what people think whoíve had Rolling Rock straight through. Sometimes when I come back to a beer after a long break, my first impression differs a lot from what I remember, but my memory isnít super reliable.

I donít think this is bad tasting. Itís a diversion from other beers in itís price category that are all too similar to each other in taste and presentation. Itís that it seems like itís only just barely a beer in some ways. Water this down a tad more, and I wouldnít believe it was a beer. Iím not sure if itís always been that way or not.

Itís certainly a nice looking bottle, and I think some other brews in this price category could take some lessons from whatever they do to give the back end some bite. I just wish the malt content were a bit more, ah, there.

DrSilverworm
beers 9671 º places 120 º 14:06 Tue 3/11/2014

The brand was sold to Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis, Missouri, in mid-2006, which transferred brewing operations to New Jersey.

That probably has something to do with it.

dmac
beers 6341 º places 35 º 14:35 Tue 3/11/2014

Originally posted by DrSilverworm
The brand was sold to Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis, Missouri, in mid-2006, which transferred brewing operations to New Jersey.

NJ gets blamed for everything. For the last time people Snooki is from New York not New Jersey.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 15:00 Tue 3/11/2014

I heard soemthing about it as well. The original had a different type of water but I am sorry I donít have more details.

NeoHippie2
beers 1074 º places 51 º 15:08 Tue 3/11/2014

If youíre anything like me then you remember beers that got you into drinking beers fondly even if they might not be the best beers around. Such is the case with Rolling Rock for me. It was one of the first beers I drank and I loved it. As Iíve drank other beers my palate has changed/evolved. A few months ago I had a RR after not drinking one for a year or two and couldnít believe how weak it was. Only now do I see the truth! :P But I donít regret the obnoxiously generous rating I gave it.

radagast83
beers 8141 º places 321 º 16:19 Tue 3/11/2014

I used to drink Rolling Rock in my college days. Mind you, I didnít know a lot about craft beer, but I had two different roommates who loved to drink the stuff. One had family in Pennsylvania, so it came somewhat naturally.

In 2006, they were saddened to hear that the beer was being sold to Anheuser-Busch. Would they keep the painted label? Would they keep the green bottles? Would they switch to cans or brown bottles? None of us knew.

We continued to drink the beer and one say we noticed that the beer was no longer being brewed in Latrobe but was now brewed somewhere in New Jersey. By that point many of our palates had evolved a bit past the beer, so it was not much of a worry for us. I discontinued consuming the beer, rather drinking other macro or crafty beers if given the option.

Yuengling would be my go-to adjunct (and relatively local) lager choice. Different flavor profiles than Rolling Rock, but green bottle, slightly skunky lager. If given the choice between the two I would continue to keep drinking Yuengling rather than Rolling Rock, which always feels like it was allowed to bask in the sun on a warm day for just a little too long.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 17:40 Tue 3/11/2014

howís that Rolling Rock amber lager drink? Been seeing billboards for it around town for awhile now.

OldGrowth
beers 3474 º places 204 º 17:57 Tue 3/11/2014

Who cares

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 08:22 Wed 3/12/2014

Originally posted by DrSilverworm

Could be. I had Rolling Rock after that point, but any recipe changes after the purchase were probably done gradually so that regular drinkers wouldnít notice a big change at a singular point in time. So, my previous experiences with RR may have been when it was still more the "Latrobe" version than the "New Jersey" version, even though production had already switched, if what weíre speculating about is correct.

More likely is that it hasnít changed that much since I last had it I had just spent a long time away from it and forgot some aspect of the flavor profile. Much of it is the way I remember it, just a little less malty up-front. My taste buds or memory has probably changed more than the recipe (If itís changed at all), but who knows. Iíd love to see better labeling laws with lists of ingredients and exact nutritional breakdowns so that we beer geeks could readily identify a recipe change so weíre not left wondering if itís just us or not. ;) I guess that wouldnít work well with Rolling Rock in particular because of the painted glass bottles (Iíd hate to see them cut the horse and the fence or the quality pledge- those are pretty cool), but in general itíd be a good thing for beer, I think.

Regardless, Rolling Rock still does taste distinct to me relative to other similar beers. They may or may not have changed things around a bit, but they clearly donít have a machine that just runs these bottles by the Bud Light tap filling them up and capping them. ;) Itís still itís own recipe, whether itís exactly the same as 2006 or not.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 08:23 Wed 3/12/2014

Originally posted by RABinVA
howís that Rolling Rock amber lager drink? Been seeing billboards for it around town for awhile now.

Havenít seen it yet at the places where I shop, but if itís the same price as regular Rolling Rock, Iíd definitely be interested in trying some.

haukur
beers 1963 º places 33 º 08:50 Wed 3/12/2014

Originally posted by radagast83
Yuengling would be my go-to adjunct (and relatively local) lager choice. Different flavor profiles than Rolling Rock, but green bottle, slightly skunky lager. If given the choice between the two I would continue to keep drinking Yuengling rather than Rolling Rock, which always feels like it was allowed to bask in the sun on a warm day for just a little too long.

Nothing wrong with Yuengling, I like it for a lager! Most in-offensive macro in the world