Has Rolling Rock Changed Lately?

Reads 6913 • Replies 20 • Started Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:01:56 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 09:50 Wed 3/12/2014

Still had a DMS problem but didn’t seem nearly as bad as before. But this still isn’t nearly as good as other swill out there.

Drjohnrock
beers 844 º places 47 º 09:54 Wed 3/12/2014

Originally posted by DrSilverworm
The brand was sold to Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis, Missouri, in mid-2006, which transferred brewing operations to New Jersey.

That probably has something to do with it.

It definitely has something to do with it. Rolling Rock used to be my go to macro when nothing better was available. I used to buy it on occasion when hosting my wife’s relatives for a party since they are hardcore BMC types and nothing will change them. So while I haven’t bought it frequently, I’ve had it enough over a period of time to pass judgment on the quality. The taste stayed the same from independent ownership through Labatts taking over through the first round of InBev (then called InterBrew) ownership. But when AB got its claws on the brand, the taste got significantly worse, and things haven’t improved since InBev bought AB.

FWIW, the amber lager is drinkable, though still not on a par with the old regular Rolling Rock.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 10:01 Wed 3/12/2014

Have fond memories of the 24 ounce glass bottles that used to be 2 for $3 at the local gas station. Get a homeless person to grab each of us 4 and tip him a bottle. Sit down at the bank of the Mississippi river drinking under a bridge and shoot the shit with good friends. Back then it tasted just fine, probably wouldn’t be the same to me now even it was the exact same prodcut.

beerinmeear
places 1 º 10:40 Fri 3/14/2014

Originally posted by DrSilverworm
The brand was sold to Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis, Missouri, in mid-2006, which transferred brewing operations to New Jersey.

That probably has something to do with it.

if it’s not still brewed "in the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe," it wouldn’t surprise me if it has changed.

It was my college dorm’s "official" beer at UVM in the early 80s- drank a lot of it then and I almost hitchhiked to Old Latrobe from Vermont just for the hell of it (but common sense overcame me, not sure why)

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 12:10 Fri 3/14/2014

Originally posted by drewbeerme
Still had a DMS problem but didn’t seem nearly as bad as before. But this still isn’t nearly as good as other swill out there.
It’s not a DMS problem, that’s what it’s supposed to taste like.

DocLock
beers 11545 º places 158 º 17:17 Fri 3/14/2014

I’ll check out the bottles and update, but I’d bet the beer still sucks. It’s hard to suck more than this beer already sucked.

michcam8
beers 592 º places 34 º 18:18 Fri 3/14/2014

That was my beer of choice during and after college. I had a bar that would see me coming in, grab a RR from the cooler, and have it open for me when I sat down....sad! It was sooo good, ice cold, the glass, the print on the glass, everything about it was different from what everyone else was drinking. I am sure it taste like garbage now, but it was somewhat of a "gateway" beer for me.

budznsudz
beers 584 º places 9 º 18:47 Fri 3/14/2014

Originally posted by OldGrowth
Who cares

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 19:08 Fri 3/14/2014

Rolling Rock is a massive dirt stain on anything you could have ever taken for goodness. Its as terrible as it ever was.

In essence your palate has come on leaps and bounds.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 21:37 Fri 3/14/2014

Originally posted by pepsican
Have fond memories of the 24 ounce glass bottles that used to be 2 for $3 at the local gas station. Get a homeless person to grab each of us 4 and tip him a bottle. Sit down at the bank of the Mississippi river drinking under a bridge and shoot the shit with good friends. Back then it tasted just fine, probably wouldn’t be the same to me now even it was the exact same prodcut.

I know that feel, bro.