Help with my IPA recipe

Reads 11347 • Replies 49 • Started Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:21:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

tilldeath
beers 109 º 02:21 Wed 1/6/2010

So I want to make a Great Divide Titan IPA clone and there is nothing out there for recipes. Talked to my buddy who works at the brewery and while he couldn’t give me exact recipe he did give me this to work with, so I need to know what quantities I’m looking at here. I’m to new to brewing to even guess at it. Help please. Oh and this beer Is fairly piney in flavor not to heavy on citrus, So I was thinking about maybe adding more simcoe somewhere, but again new and not sure.

american 2-row, and 5% crystal 75. simcoe and amarillo bittering. amarillo again for flavoring. columbus at end of boil.
And Columbus for dry hopping

nqualls
beers 1452 º places 35 º 04:09 Wed 1/6/2010

This seems like it would be a good IPA, but I don’t think you’ll get an overly piney one with your choice of hops.

tilldeath
beers 109 º 04:42 Wed 1/6/2010

Yeah, I don’t need it to be overly piney just of the hop flavors pine in the front over citrus.

csbosox
beers 1229 º places 13 º 07:05 Wed 1/6/2010

If you want more pine, use some of that Simcoe at the end of the boil.

tilldeath
beers 109 º 08:26 Wed 1/6/2010

would something like this work??
Could someone give me an idea on dme amounts to use to equal the 2-row? Also not sure what OG I’d be looking at. Prolly go with safale US-05 and ferment in mid 60’s.

13.5 lbs US 2-row
0.75 lbs Crystal 75
0.75 oz Simcoe @60 minutes
0.75 oz Amarillo @60 minutes
0.5 oz Amarillo @15 minutes
0.5 oz Columbus @0 minutes
1 oz Columbus for 5 days (dry hop)

danielst
beers 422 º places 12 º 08:39 Wed 1/6/2010

Originally posted by tilldeath
would something like this work??
Could someone give me an idea on dme amounts to use to equal the 2-row? Also not sure what OG I’d be looking at. Prolly go with safale US-05 and ferment in mid 60’s.

13.5 lbs US 2-row

I believe you can go with about 9 lbs of light dry malt extract. Maybe a half pound more

BMan1113VR
beers 7929 º places 423 º 09:28 Wed 1/6/2010

Simcoe and amarillo mixed always gives me a lot of tropical fruit notes and not pine...Chinook might help here...

absolutesites
beers 2 º 10:55 Wed 1/6/2010

Originally posted by BMan1113VR
Simcoe and amarillo mixed always gives me a lot of tropical fruit notes and not pine...Chinook might help here...

Also . . . 2 oz. of hops in an IPA?

FAIL

Try increasing your flavor and aroma additions to around 8 oz.

4 - 6 oz. at less than 5 minutes and a 2 - 4 oz. dry hop.

FOAMer
beers 45 º places 2 º 11:51 Wed 1/6/2010

Couple of things, about 8 lbs of DME will get you in the 1.075+ range and for that beer you should be fine. Also the hops look okay to me, at the amounts you show you are around 76 IBUs which is plenty for an IPA (this also give you about a 1:1 ratio for IBU and gravity which if I remember right is in line with Ray Daniels’ book "Designing Great Beers" (don’t have it here with me at work). Adding more is up to you but keep in mind you want balance even with an IPA.

barncatmatt
beers 2287 º places 71 º 11:55 Wed 1/6/2010

Originally posted by FOAMer
Couple of things, about 8 lbs of DME will get you in the 1.075+ range and for that beer you should be fine. Also the hops look okay to me, at the amounts you show you are around 76 IBUs which is plenty for an IPA (this also give you about a 1:1 ratio for IBU and gravity which if I remember right is in line with Ray Daniels’ book "Designing Great Beers" (don’t have it here with me at work). Adding more is up to you but keep in mind you want balance even with an IPA.

absolutesites’ head exploded after reading this post.

to the OP, your not using anywhere near enough hops. id triple your bittering, flavour and dryhop additions.

absolutesites
beers 2 º 12:10 Wed 1/6/2010

Originally posted by matt7215
Originally posted by FOAMer

absolutesites’ head exploded after reading this post.

to the OP, your not using anywhere near enough hops. id triple your bittering, flavour and dryhop additions.

Wot? I can’t here you . . . my head just assploded.

In all seriousness, he might be OK with 1.5 oz. of hops for bittering, but if it were up to me I’d double that. At least.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer