Hitler on a label

Reads 16895 • Replies 144 • Started Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:10:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 4705 º places 276 º 09:10 Thu 6/25/2009

Disgusting, imo. What do you think?

http://knutalbert.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/bad-taste/

no label approval necessary in Denmark?

Cornfield
beers 5569 º places 143 º 09:18 Thu 6/25/2009

What’s so disgusting about having a label with a person directly responsible for the slaughter of millions of innocents?

Actually, if I had to choose one person who’s visage should never grace the face of ANY label, it would be Hitler.
That goes beyond bad taste.

DrnkMcDermott
beers 3427 º places 96 º 09:23 Thu 6/25/2009

Even worse, it’s a Hitler moustache and hairdo pasted onto Tintin. But then, Hergé started Tintin while working for a newspaper so far rightward it tried to prove Hitler was a communist.

Christian
beers 15317 º places 278 º 09:26 Thu 6/25/2009

It’s just a cartoon character in classic Belgian style that’s waving happily at us. If you want to interpret it as something else, that’s up to you.

We have free speech in Denmark, so of course people are allowed to sell any kind of product or artwork that doesn’t interfere with other people’s life and liberty

unclemike
beers 3307 º places 69 º 09:28 Thu 6/25/2009

i know whatyou mean saw a label in beer magazine with a swastika on the label totally gross

beastiefan2k
beers 4705 º places 276 º 09:30 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
It’s just a cartoon character in classic Belgian style that’s waving happily at us. If you want to interpret it as something else, that’s up to you.

you are being sarcastic, correct? There is no way that character does not make you think of one infamous person?

And I have no problem with free speech, I am not trying to censor anyone, especially in Denmark. But with free speech comes responsibility.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 09:34 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

you are being sarcastic, correct? There is no way that character does not make you think of one infamous person?

And I have no problem with free speech, I am not trying to censor anyone, especially in Denmark. But with free speech comes responsibility.

So then rather than saying it is in poor taste, maybe say it appears to be a poor business decision?

I don’t mind it, it sure is a bit silly looking. I don’t know if I would or wouldn’t buy the beer based on the label alone.

Much more important things to worry about than a guy that killed himself 65 years ago.

Christian
beers 15317 º places 278 º 09:50 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by lithyMuch more important things to worry about than a guy that killed himself 65 years ago.

Such as: Can you truly make a beer that represents both German and Belgian wheat tradition?

Gary
beers 2116 º places 4 º 09:51 Thu 6/25/2009

see it as social commentary .

MilkmanDan
beers 1942 º places 20 º 09:56 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by lithy
Originally posted by beastiefan2k

So then rather than saying it is in poor taste, maybe say it appears to be a poor business decision?

I don’t mind it, it sure is a bit silly looking. I don’t know if I would or wouldn’t buy the beer based on the label alone.

Much more important things to worry about than a guy that killed himself 65 years ago.

I don’t think Hitler counts as "a guy who killed himself 65 years ago". As for the label, I would hope that doing something like this is an act of stupidity huge enough that it’s effectively complete and utter business suicide. Want to use Hitler on a label? Go ahead. Chances are it’s going to drive everyone who isn’t an extremist nutbag away from your beer and you’ll go bankrupt soon.

PilsnerPeter
beers 3058 º places 100 º 10:07 Thu 6/25/2009

"Nazi Germany’s Occupation of Denmark began with Operation Weserübung 9 April 1940, and lasted until German forces withdrew at the end of World War II following their surrender to the Allies on 5 May 1945. Contrary to the situation in other countries under German occupation, most Danish institutions continued to function relatively normally until 1943. Both the Danish government and King remained in the country in an uneasy relationship between a democratic and a totalitarian system until German authorities dissolved the government following a wave of strikes and sabotage."

Since the "Brown Coats" did far less damage to the Danes they may have less hatred towards Hitler’s existence. The beer is still a rating for me so, ISO!