Hitler on a label

Reads 20580 • Replies 144 • Started Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:10:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 11:34 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by lithy
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
It’s just a cartoon character in classic Belgian style that’s waving happily at us. If you want to interpret it as something else, that’s up to you.

you are being sarcastic, correct? There is no way that character does not make you think of one infamous person?

And I have no problem with free speech, I am not trying to censor anyone, especially in Denmark. But with free speech comes responsibility.

So then rather than saying it is in poor taste, maybe say it appears to be a poor business decision?

It *is* in bad taste, more than it is a bad business decision. Anything that in any way could be considered celebrating one of the most horrible humans in the history of the planet is bad taste. Similar if you are using his character as a marketing tool.

Like was mentioned above about Chaplin, Brooks, and Cleese, the longer we take this guy seriously, the more damage he does even several generations after his death.

If there is ANYONE on the planet more deserving of caricature and being the butt of jokes, it is Hitler.

All my opinion of course, but like Cletus said, everyone getting outraged over this is only doing more of a service to the company and their beer. If I saw this on a shelf, I don’t know if it would even attract a second look.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 11:44 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by TimE
Poor taste and appealing to the lowest common denominator. Extreme marketing is one way to get famous, but why does Brew Dog and others do it was so much more sophistication and class? These guys are idiots. I suppose if playing Play Station all day and watching Friday the 13th and Charlie’s Angles is your definition of a good time, these guys are marketing geniuses.

tim

What makes this type of advertising so effective is that it gets a negative reaction from people who feel compelled to tell everyone else how disgusted they are, thereby spreading word about their product. For every 2-3 people who are bothered by this label, there are probably 20-30 more who hear about the negative publicity who are curious enough about it to buy it.

I agree mostly. In my case, I don’t think I would mention the Hitler aspect just say these guys are idiots for immature marketing. I also realize that could get people’s attention, but ultimately the point I would make is ".... and their beer tastes like shit. I swear they are the Budweiser of Europe, except bud has less connections to Hitler and more flavor" and that would seal their fate with anyone I know.

Tim

PS That might not be a fair comment, but I am trying to make people feel disgusted, so I guess I am on the same level as them!!!!!

Soonah
beers 1120 º places 2 º 11:48 Thu 6/25/2009

If we were aghast everytime someone used the image, likeness or information about Hitler to try and make a profit we’d have to get rid of a lot of media.

How many movies featuring Hitler have been produced?

Valkyrie
Downfall (a great flick btw)
The Producers
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (made by Spielberg, a Jew who’s worked tirelessly at exposing the atrocities of the holocaust)

Papsoe
beers 25039 º places 4 º 11:49 Thu 6/25/2009

Damm, Pandora’s box has been opened and it’s now out: the Danes are a bunch of bleeding nazis!

But Carlsberg started all of this:

http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/carlsberg-etiketter/5889264?i=10444586

http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/carlsberg-etiketter/5889264
(scroll down)

Will you now also torch our embassy in DC as moslem fundamentalists did in the Middle East because of the Mohammed cartoons?

BMan1113VR
beers 7929 º places 423 º 12:34 Thu 6/25/2009

although not Hitler, I am not really a fan of this beer either:
Che Beer

PilsnerPeter
beers 3070 º places 100 º 12:46 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by BMan1113VR
Che Beer

There’s also a Stalin’s Russian Stout. I love Fascism!

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 12:49 Thu 6/25/2009

ah, hes so cute on that label though! you just wanna tickle that lil armpit every time he heils!

MuertosPorter
beers 24 º places 1 º 12:51 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by Papsoe
Damm, Pandora’s box has been opened and it’s now out: the Danes are a bunch of bleeding nazis!

But Carlsberg started all of this:

http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/carlsberg-etiketter/5889264?i=10444586

http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/carlsberg-etiketter/5889264
(scroll down)

Will you now also torch our embassy in DC as moslem fundamentalists did in the Middle East because of the Mohammed cartoons?

This is the sacred Hindu symbol, not the Nazi swastika.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 12:55 Thu 6/25/2009

that symobol was used by hindus, native americans and a few other ancients. hitler flipped it around to make it mean the exact opposite of what it meant to everybody else. this is an age old freemason trick.

Christian
beers 17295 º places 278 º 13:12 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by BMan1113VR
Che Beer

That is an hommage and a cry for a revolution where most craft beer drinkers will probably be in the social group that are going to be sent to the camps. That label compares in no way to a caricature that resembles Hitler...