Hitler on a label

Reads 20591 • Replies 144 • Started Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:10:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 04:38 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by KimJohansen
Originally posted by Gary
Originally posted by JK
Some people are always looking for a reason to be offended.
+1

+2

Twice in a week i agree with JK.

I just dont have the time to think about things such as the Connotations of labels on a beer bottle.

Marko
admin
beers 17710 º places 866 º 05:06 Fri 6/26/2009

Some interesting almost Amerocentric views here.

Someone was quick to attack Guevara as well. One should keep in mind that the same could be said for, say, humm... Bush (or any war mongering leader (be that of a nation or a movement) regardless of the country of origin and political affiliation), with Guevara’s base ideals arguably (not going deeper into the discussion because it wouldn’t end) being more noble in essence if not in practice than Dubyas. He was, in essence an enemy of your society in a way and of your politics but ask yourself if you truly take everything into consideration or pointing out "enemy" propaganda under the influence of your own.

Originally posted by PilsnerPeter
There have been myriads of genocides including (but not limited to):
(list)

You forgot about what was done to the natives in your own country

Probably some other stuff as well.

Millions have died in the name of a major or lesser religion and the people who have suffered might view any depiction (be that of a cross, a crescent moon or, heck, a jolly fat monk with a beer in his hand) as offensive, no matter if he was truly offended for some reason (hey, there are people with skin so thin you can almost see their organs) or being a nitpicking ass.

Anyway... noticed those "nostalgic" Italian beers from Menabrea (Birra dalla Storia etc.) as well and I view it as an act of hypocrisy. They do show all the leaders of that time in their defense but they are probably the only ones to flaunt their own (you’d be surprised how widespread Benito’s memorabilia is) so freely. I view it as an attempt to lessen the evil they have done (heeey, we’re good people, lovable rascals, no way we could’ve done that) which irks me a bit as I have had relatives die in Italian concentration camps here (disturbingly little information online about them, for example the one on Molat), almost as much as the fact that they are still some notable politicians of theirs with eyes on Dalmatia, which was really only theirs for 25 or so years (thank youuu Britain) and where they were never, despite their efforts, a majority, but I don’t see it as a cause to whine.

That’s similar to what is done in Serbia with Chetniks, depicting them as antifascists (which is extreme bullshit) and like it was done with. Heck, even my own country has experienced a wave of NDH apologetism / glorification, carried by the post-communism / war-induced (extreme) right wing resurgence (though probably not as massive as some would have it or as big as in some other countries). There are still efforts of some to make "their side" be more victimized like that page that should serve as a searchable list of the victims of the Jasenovac concentration camp but lists pretty much everyone who has died on Croatian soil to boost numbers to an insane level. I mean, damn, it’s so damn terrible as is, why the hell do you feel the need to make it seem even worse (other than being the psychopathic kind of nationalist).

But let’s face it, it’s not like the other side refrained from cruelty. My entire family was in the partisans (one side is even of Italian origin, there for centuries, and they never wanted to have anything with the fascists that came) and while knowing that none of them did anything close to that, I also know and accept that some of their comrades in arms did some terrible stuff as well. For the others, one word. Dresden.

Ok don’t know where I’m going here anymore so back to the beer.

Possibly offensive in a way to some, yes, but completely harmless and if anything has shown the necessity that some grow a thicker skin (what JK said too) and to stop living in the damn past and sometimes try to accept the fact that your view might not be entirely correct (I’ve just accepted the fact that I’m an idiot for having written this last line on the bloody internet).

JorisPPattyn
admin
beers 14310 º places 93 º 06:47 Fri 6/26/2009

Possibly offensive in a way to some, yes, but completely harmless and if anything has shown the necessity that some grow a thicker skin (what JK said too) and to stop living in the damn past and sometimes try to accept the fact that your view might not be entirely correct (I’ve just accepted the fact that I’m an idiot for having written this last line on the bloody internet).

Exactly.

And to add my two cents to PilsnerPeter: one could argue that the "Endlösung" was preceded by the "Connaght-drive" from the "father of the nation" O. Cromwell (ask the Irish), and the concentration camps, dear to the Nazi’s, were actually invented by, again, the British in the Boer War (ask the Afrikaners). Oh, and those that didn’t understand Marko, Dresden, that’s Bomber Harris (ask Kurt Vonnegut or the Leipzigers that rebuild the Frauenkirche).

Joriswhoknowsheough ttohavestayedquiet aswellbecausethisi swaaaaaaayOT

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 07:59 Fri 6/26/2009

I had never expected, that this damned Hitler is still so important for intelligent and tolerant people, that they discuss endlessly about his cartoon on a beer bottle!

PilsnerPeter
beers 3070 º places 100 º 08:30 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by Doggythedog

Originally posted by PilsnerPeter
There have been myriads of genocides including (but not limited to):
(list)

You forgot about what was done to the natives in your own country

Haha, touche!

robrules
places 1 º 09:32 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
Originally posted by lithyMuch more important things to worry about than a guy that killed himself 65 years ago.

Such as: Can you truly make a beer that represents both German and Belgian wheat tradition?

Gose?

Christian
beers 17296 º places 278 º 10:00 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by robrules
Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
Originally posted by lithyMuch more important things to worry about than a guy that killed himself 65 years ago.

Such as: Can you truly make a beer that represents both German and Belgian wheat tradition?

Gose?

Well, except that this one is designed as a weizen-wit

shrubber85
admin
beers 15026 º places 435 º 10:05 Fri 6/26/2009

So why would you call a beer Tia Loca (crazy aunt??) and then use Hitler on the label? I can’t fathom a connection.

Fin
beers 17269 º places 1653 º 10:24 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by JorisPPattyn
and the concentration camps, dear to the Nazi’s, were actually invented by, again, the British

When the mention of concentration camps came up I wondered whether anyone would cotton onto the fact that these were something that the British had thought up. We’ve a very good track record of wonderful inventions, sadly this wasn’t one of them, if indeed it could be considered an invention.

durhambeer
beers 2500 º places 6 º 10:50 Fri 6/26/2009

Some interesting things to note about conversations such as this:

1) Sometimes folks seem to be upset at the notion that others are offended (despite the fact that being offended is subjective and a right as much as free speech is)

2) Sometimes folks seem to make the assumption that just because people are offended, they seem to be calling for censorship (Some posters on this thread defend free speech as if someone has called for the labels to be banned, but as far as I can tell no one has said that yet).

Why can’t free speech and the right to be offended live comfortably together? The brewery has the right to make the label. People have the right to be offended about it. End of story, no?