Hong Kong

Reads 3109 • Replies 28 • Started Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:57:21 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 03:21 Wed 8/23/2017

Originally posted by explosivedog
I’m going to Hong Kong in a few months. Any tips on good craft beer places for food / non-beer drinks? Going with my partner and it’s usually an easier sell if there’s a nice cocktail / wine list or something good to eat.

You can’t leave Hong Kong without getting Dim Sum, so just go to the best: One Dim Sum (15 Playing Field Road, closest to Prince Edward MTR). Expect to wait in line at most times of the day, but it’s absolutely worth the wait. This place has a Michelin Star but it’s hysterically cheap. Very honourable mention goes to Tim Ho Wan (9 Fuk Wing Street, closest to Sham Shui Po MTR). In addition to all the places below, I really like this person’s list on Foursquare for the various Chinese cuisines.

Cantonese:
Yung Kee (32-40 Wellington Street, by Central MTR)
The Chairman (18 Kau U Fong Road, by Sheung Wan MTR)
Shung Hing Chiu Chow (29, 33, 37 Queen’s Road West, by Sheung Wan MTR)
Man Wah (inside the Mandarin Oriental, by Central MTR)

Japanese:
Kyozasa (32 Haiphong Road, by Tsim Sha Tsui MTR)
Ku-suya Rakuen (28 Tang Lung Street, by Causeway Bay MTR)
Ito San (25 Westlands Road, by Quarry Bay MTR)

Super local breakfast cafe:
Mido Café (63 Temple Street, by Yau Ma Tei MTR)

Now for some drinks! If you’re looking for a wide selection of fancy drinks and good local beers as well (and great food, too), I recommended 65 Peel above, which satisfies both of your needs best :) I also have to mention Club 71 (walk down the outdoor stairs at 69 Hollywood Road and you’ll find it on the Pak Tsz Lane Park): it’s very local and the drinks list isn’t super special, but I used to go here all the time (their happy hour prices are some of the best in town) and it has a nice mix of locals, expats, and Umbrella Movement participants. It’s very chill and low-key, and you can also sit outside.

Other nice places:
- Ozone (on the 108th floor) or the Lobby Bar (on the 118th floor) at the Ritz-Carlton inside the ICC (by Kowloon Station). Try it when the weather is good for a great view; you’ll want to reserve a place, though.
- Ping Pong 129 (Sam To Lane, by Sai Ying Pun MTR)
- Little Lab (50 Staunton Street, by Sheung Wan MTR)
- Stockton (32 Wyndham Street, by Central MTR)

explosivedog
admin
beers 12849 º places 582 º 00:04 Thu 8/24/2017

Amazing, thank you!

left_bank
beers 106 º places 107 º 03:11 Thu 8/24/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek
Originally posted by gnoff
How common is it to use debit/credit card for payment in Hong Kong (and well Taiwan also), is it generally accepted?
I hear e.g. in China most things are done by phone these days, but would a Visa/Mastecard take you a long way, or is cash recommended?

Quite common (for foreign credit cards, at least), but not universal. The places that I recommended and that you’re looking for are all card-friendly; obviously, things differ in markets or street food (cash only, obviously), and it is increasingly common for people to pay for smaller things with an Octopus card, which is the contactless public transportation card. You can get the Octopus card at any MTR station and recharge it at stations or at a 7-11, but I wouldn’t recommend it to gnoff for such a short stay.

Not looking for a debate as I can tell you know way more about HK then I ever will. Also,I never monitored credit card use when I was in HK. Even though it might be accepted in a fare amount of places,I would recommend cash. I would probably recommend cash for ever Asian country that I I ever visited,including the one I live in,Japan.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 04:56 Thu 8/24/2017

Originally posted by left_bank

Not looking for a debate as I can tell you know way more about HK then I ever will. Also,I never monitored credit card use when I was in HK. Even though it might be accepted in a fare amount of places,I would recommend cash. I would probably recommend cash for ever Asian country that I I ever visited,including the one I live in,Japan.

Research shows that 60% of transactions in Hong Kong are made with cards (credit [for larger purchases], debit [ditto], or Octopus [for smaller purchases, though you can store up to HK$3.000 on the card]). Even for a short trip, it isn’t really necessary to take out a large amount of cash in Hong Kong unless you plan on spending a lot of money at a street market, visiting an extremely old shop, or buying a ticket for the MTR at a machine (this isn’t the case at customer service desks).

left_bank
beers 106 º places 107 º 07:09 Thu 8/24/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek

Research shows that 60% of transactions in Hong Kong are made with cards (credit [for larger purchases], debit [ditto], or Octopus [for smaller purchases, though you can store up to HK$3.000 on the card]). Even for a short trip, it isn’t really necessary to take out a large amount of cash in Hong Kong unless you plan on spending a lot of money at a street market, visiting an extremely old shop, or buying a ticket for the MTR at a machine (this isn’t the case at customer service desks).

Do you think that 60% is spread out evenly throughout HK,or just a small part?

left_bank
beers 106 º places 107 º 07:19 Thu 8/24/2017

What language was the survey done in?
My last comment on this thread is I do not consider the Octopus card in any way a cc!

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 16:55 Thu 8/24/2017

Do you think that 60% is spread out evenly throughout HK,or just a small part?

Relatively even, of course. Hong Kong isn’t some crazy backwater. You’re just as likely to be able to use a credit card in Tai O as you would be forced to use cash in Causeway Bay. Accepting a form of payment is the discretion of the business owner (as anywhere else); not accepting credit, debit, or Octopus is just telling your customers that you don’t want their money.

What language was the survey done in?
My last comment on this thread is I do not consider the Octopus card in any way a cc!

I’m not sure I understand the purpose of the question, but probably Cantonese, which is the language that over 90% of Hong Kongers speak. And I’m not sure I understand where you ever got the idea that Octopus is a type of credit card; considering credit and debit cards are increasingly equipped with contactless technology, there is little practical difference between the three.

Anyway, let’s get this thread back to its’ actual purpose: visiting Hong Kong!

gnoff
beers 11277 º places 838 º 07:10 Sat 9/30/2017

Seems Tipping Point and Brewdog Bar are closwd down?

At least I can't seem to find them.

Oh and google maps seem to suck in Hong Kong, so done a lot of walking around.

Finally found Peel 65 with 12 local craft beer and flights available.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 19:28 Sat 9/30/2017

You’re not missing out; Tipping Point’s own beers are somewhere between mediocre and awful. The highlight there was the fact that they had two Nepalese bottles.

Peel 65 is where it’s at, though. Great spot with a glorious local tap list!

What do you mean about Google Maps ‘sucking’? The areas that you’re talking about are faster to walk through. The only thing missing is the Mid-Levels Escalator, but Google Maps is the opposite of useless in the city.

gnoff
beers 11277 º places 838 º 00:21 Sun 10/1/2017

Is Hong Kong Yau (or HK Yau) actually a brewery as stated at 65 Peel, or a brand by someone else?

http://www.craftandcrew.hk/en/ff-portfolio/hk-yau/

To add the brewery, else where to add a beer from them, e.g. New Kong Wheat?