How do you say ’Pliny’?

Reads 42919 • Replies 57 • Started Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:06:14 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 14:49 Thu 7/30/2009

and I can’t figure out why my reply is in the thing I’m quoting

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 15:20 Thu 7/30/2009

So, I’ve listed one of my qualifications. Now let’s here your qualifications, joet? What makes you right and the entire scholarly world wrong. I’m all ears.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 15:27 Thu 7/30/2009

So, the beer is the same as the person?

It’s important to let everyone know you went to college when you’re drinking DIPAs. Makes them taste better. To someone with only a high-school diploma, PtE tastes like Cranberry Lambic.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 15:29 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by after4ever

The beer is named after the person, yes.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 15:42 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by Cletus
So, I’ve listed one of my qualifications. Now let’s here your qualifications, joet? What makes you right and the entire scholarly world wrong. I’m all ears.

I think what joet is getting at is that this is one of those things that is "unknowable." The entire scholarly world may agree that in all likelihood the word was pronounced "DOOSH-BAG," and they may agree that we will all continue to pronounce it "DOOSH-BAG" in our academic roundtable jerk-offs-- I mean "discussions"-- but as there was no recorded sound and we have not yet invented time travel, they cannot KNOW the pronunciation for sure.

Of course, I’ll trust that the scholars may have a preponderance of evidence to suggest how the Latin language (and this word in particular) might have been pronounced thousands of years ago, so I’ll concede that "PLIH-knee" is the "proper" pronunciation of that old dead guy’s name.

But I’ll still pronounce the name of the BEER "PLY-knee," because I think that’s what it looks like, and that’s what VINE-ee calls it.

And he made it.

And it sounds cooler.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 15:47 Thu 7/30/2009

You had a single class years ago, are no longer a scholar, have no degree or other qualification in the area of linguistics, won’t engage any of my points and you want me to concede based on what?

I’ve told you I don’t know. You haven’t proven you know. And not that anyone can’t but you haven’t even suggested how anyone would know. And you’ve not constrained your claim in the slightest (as Doggy did in a single sentence).

To be charitable here, I can concede that for the purposes of language study a formal pronunciation of ancient Latin has been created based on available fact. I think most scholars though would admit that among speaking citizens of the Roman Empire (Latin Vulgare), we just can’t know how the language was spoken to any degree of certainty. And it could also be inferred that as the language naturally evolved, pronunciation deviated from this standard in knowable and unknowable ways.

So I might expect a linguist specializing in this area to be able to say something about pronunciation of Latin in the time and place of Pliny and what was the pronunciation of the word in question and to what degree of certainty this can be said. If you can help us out, we’d appreciate it.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 15:49 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by cquiroga

But I’ll still pronounce the name of the BEER "PLY-knee," because I think that’s what it looks like, and that’s what VINE-ee calls it.

And he made it.

And it sounds cooler.

That’s cool. I’m still going to call it PLIH-nee unless the brewer decides to change his name to Vaĭ-nee.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 15:53 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by cquiroga
VINE-ee calls it.

And it sounds cooler.

Viney Cilurzo. That does sound cooler. If he has a son named Vinnie, that son would be called Viney the Younger.

But do you say suh-lurts-o, chi-lurts-o or suh-ler-zo?

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 15:53 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by joet

You had a single class years ago, are no longer a scholar, have no degree or other qualification in the area of linguistics, won’t engage any of my points and you want me to concede based on what?

I’ll be more than happy to list what my other qualifications are when I hear yours. So far, you haven’t listed any. Let’s hear what qualifies you to call my opinion BS.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 15:57 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by after4ever

The beer is named after the person, yes.

but is it actually named after him? or is it a play on his name purposely changing a syllable? (i.e. hoptimus prime, ivan the terrib-ale, slews of others)this is obviously a long standing tradition in naming beers, and garbage pail kids. one should email vinny and ask if its meant to be a scholarly tribute or a sarcastic reference. judging by the amount of asinine snippets printed around the label, i would guess the latter. my first impression was with a short i, and i like the slang translation of ’plenty’, which is what i drink of this ale!