How many raters does it take to make a million? (part 3)

Reads 6467 • Replies 99 • Started Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:47:51 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen
 
Benzai
beers 20022 º places 321 º 14:53 Tue 10/10/2017

Originally posted by anstei
Originally posted by Benzai
How is the pace Phil, still even pace or slowing / speeding?


From the math one would expect this to slow down. Imagine we have only 3 users doing the 1 million, say at 400k, 350k, 250k ratings. To get down to two users, the two top raters would have to get the number of ratings the third one currently has, i.e. 125k each. And once they get to 525k & 375k, to get down to top user doing it, he'd have to do an additional 375k!

Or in other words: The remaining n-1 top raters have to come up for the total number of ratings of the n-th rater. This number increases every time n gets smaller, and also the number of raters gets smaller, so no wonder it takes longer.


Good point indeed. Most of the math is beyond me (so thanks again for taking over Phil) but this even I can understand. Curious to see this progress.

 
FatPhil
beers 20956 º places 830 º 15:41 Tue 10/10/2017

Originally posted by anstei
Originally posted by Benzai
How is the pace Phil, still even pace or slowing / speeding?


From the math one would expect this to slow down.


Yup, it will indeed level off over time in the way you describe. So there will be a stage where it all but grinds to a halt - who will be in, and who will be out? I for one am volunteering to drop out!

 
FatPhil
beers 20956 º places 830 º 02:53 Wed 10/11/2017

Originally posted by MarcoDL
Who knows, the ratings counter is still broken, so you never know whether the numbers are correct.


Yup, it does seem as if the stats on that top raters pages are unreliable, and that's alas all I can go on. Frickin monkey coders need a kick up the backside.

In other news, BeerAndBlues2 has already muscled in and pushed crossovert out of the top 50. Then again, crossovert was moving fast enough to burst into the top 51 last time, so will probably counterattack.

Or the numbers are random, and I'm just seeing motion where there isn't any. Sigh...

 
drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 08:52 Thu 10/12/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
We're finally down to 50!

Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 07:09:13 0300 (EEST)
#50 crossovert with 13680 takes total from 986325 to 1000005
#148 RichTheVillan with 8088 takes total from 1997590 to 2005678
#300 Aurelius with 5453 takes total from 2999245 to 3004698
#533 Minderbinder with 3469 takes total from 3999885 to 4003354
#897 dcschiller with 2208 takes total from 4999714 to 5001922

Congrats to all who managed to stay in the band they're happiest being in!


Woo, I'm still in the top 2mil!

(also acting as a placeholder so I can see where I read to next time this thread pops up)

 
FatPhil
beers 20956 º places 830 º 10:07 Thu 10/12/2017

Your rate seems to have dropped in the second half of the year, so the 550 days I gave you last time seems to have evaporated a fair bit, but your buffer zone is still at least 200 days even if you really slow down.

 
FatPhil
beers 20956 º places 830 º 08:50 Mon 10/30/2017

Well, clearly some weird shit has been going on as there was an enormous change in the stats over the weekend. Somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand ratings just appeared in the space of a few hours. Possibly last month lots of ratings were getting lost, which explained why it was a slow month, and now they've been found. Anyway, it looks like we're now down to only 49!

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 07:09:26 0300 (EEST)
#49 argo0 with 14127 takes total from 989864 to 1003991
#144 jackl with 8301 takes total from 1995803 to 2004104
#293 SlovakSniper with 5561 takes total from 2999350 to 3004911
#519 cfrancis with 3545 takes total from 3997897 to 4001442
#872 zvsn with 2251 takes total from 4998054 to 5000305

 
fonefan
beers 64715 º places 129 º 09:17 Mon 10/30/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
Well, clearly some weird shit has been going on as there was an enormous change in the stats over the weekend. Somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand ratings just appeared in the space of a few hours. Possibly last month lots of ratings were getting lost, which explained why it was a slow month, and now they've been found. Anyway, it looks like we're now down to only 49!

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 07:09:26 0300 (EEST)
#49 argo0 with 14127 takes total from 989864 to 1003991
#144 jackl with 8301 takes total from 1995803 to 2004104
#293 SlovakSniper with 5561 takes total from 2999350 to 3004911
#519 cfrancis with 3545 takes total from 3997897 to 4001442
#872 zvsn with 2251 takes total from 4998054 to 5000305


Yes some lost and then change made so ticks counts also in your total 😉

 
CH-303
beers 3314 º places 121 º 09:27 Mon 10/30/2017

Originally posted by fonefan
Yes some lost and then change made so ticks counts also in your total 😉

Is this change temporary or permanent, though?

 
FatPhil
beers 20956 º places 830 º 16:47 Mon 10/30/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
#49 argo0 with 14127 takes total from 989864 to 1003991

#49 argo0 with 14127 takes total from 987904 to 1002031

So 2000 ratings above 49th position have disappeared in the last half day, so I reckon we should just ignore the current stats, they're just random numbers at the moment. RB is a shambles.