How much damage does warming an already cold beer actually do?

Reads 3148 • Replies 30 • Started Friday, November 30, 2012 9:52:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

oteyj
beers 2138 º places 14 º 16:56 Fri 11/30/2012

CLevar
places 23 º 17:23 Fri 11/30/2012

Originally posted by DaSilky1
Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by lithy
It will skunk your beer.

No.

It will beer your skunk though, I’ve tried it.

Words mean something. "skunk" = hops+light.

WS;SP

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 21:09 Fri 11/30/2012

Originally posted by DaSilky1
Originally posted by fly
It will skunk your beer.

No.

It will beer your skunk though, I’ve tried it.

Words mean something. "skunk" = hops+light.

WS;SP

I only buy 30 packs warm because I don’t want to buy cold ones and drive home and have them warm and put them back in the fridge. They’ll just be odorous weasels by then.

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 21:27 Fri 11/30/2012

Skunking is the reaction of ultraviolet light to the isomers in the hops found in beer. If you are buying a 30 pack, that means cans, and no light at all. So be happy for drinking some kind of dirty 30 of shitty beer, without worrying about skunking.

Sevenlee
beers 1845 º places 82 º 23:06 Fri 11/30/2012

Thanks for all your responses.

I was never worried about skunking because I knew that it was UV light affecting the hops. I’d heard many times about the temp changes having other affects but after these responses and some other research, I see I have nothing to worry about.

Cheers all!

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 23:12 Fri 11/30/2012

Originally posted by Sevenlee
Thanks for all your responses.

I was never worried about skunking because I knew that it was UV light affecting the hops. I’d heard many times about the temp changes having other affects but after these responses and some other research, I see I have nothing to worry about.

Cheers all!

Buy 2 cold beers. Put 1 in the fridge, leave the other out at room temp for a few days, then chill it. Open both, and do a blind tasting without knowing which one was chilled the entire time and which one was at room temp for a week, and see if you can taste a difference. My opinion is that you won’t notice a thing.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 23:54 Fri 11/30/2012

None. Disregard all previous posts.

Except the one right b4 mine.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 06:29 Sat 12/1/2012

How could nothing happen?!? Why would Bud sell Bud Light Lime in cooler cases if it nothing happened?

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 06:39 Sat 12/1/2012

I always thought that perhaps the worst thing you could do to a beer was to send it to somebody in a trade at the wrong time of year. I’m imagining all of the temperature changes that can occur in doing that. Somebody should ship some recording thermometers to test that theory.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 07:08 Sat 12/1/2012

Why would Bud sell Bud Light Lime in cooler cases if it nothing happened?

They know you’ll drink at least one on the way home. They want you drinking it ice cold because it tastes like corn, rice and barley syrup when warm. The colder and more flavorless - the better... when it comes to adjunct-laden pale lagers.