How much sugar is in a Budweiser?

Reads 80025 • Replies 11 • Started Sunday, July 31, 2005 12:17:52 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 12:17 Sun 7/31/2005

Yesterday I went wine tasting. Yes, Texas is a major wine producing state (after California, Washington, Oregon and New York) and many of the wineries are right outside Austin.

So I was talking to this wine guy who truly hated beer and I was trying to enlighten him. He countered with lots of fun facts and figures.

One of the "facts" he mentioned that was truly incredible was that commercial beer contained TWICE the sugar of Coca-Cola. Yes, I’ve felt spilled bad beer on the floor of a bar and it is very sticky and it’s true that malt sugar (maltose) is far less sweet than fructose which is the sugar in Cocoa-Cola and so stands to have more sugar for the sweetness but come on... TWICE the sugar!!!

Can anyone confirm or deny this statement?

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 12:25 Sun 7/31/2005

I don’t know about the sugar but there is plenty of rice starch in a beer that is so traditionally brewed with only the finest ingredients.

HAHAHA

MrRomero
beers 1976 º places 112 º 12:25 Sun 7/31/2005

AFAIK, Bud has 10.6g of carbs per 12oz. Coke has 39g. If all sugar is created equal as far as carbs go, Coke has more.

xray
beers 50 º places 9 º 12:36 Sun 7/31/2005

Not true. A 12 oz. serving of Coca cola has 155 calories and all of it comes from sugar. A 12 oz. serving of beer would have to have more than 310 calories to weigh in at double (beer has a few protein calories). Heineken and even Guiness have only about 150 calories per 12 oz. serving. Ounce for ounce, I doub’t wine is much better if better at all, but one doesn’t usually drink as much of a volume of wine per drinking session as beer. I’m going to check out wine’s sugar content now.

goldtwins
beers 4319 º places 5 º 12:45 Sun 7/31/2005

Originally posted by xray
Not true. A 12 oz. serving of Coca cola has 155 calories and all of it comes from sugar. A 12 oz. serving of beer would have to have more than 310 calories to weigh in at double (beer has a few protein calories). Heineken and even Guiness have only about 150 calories per 12 oz. serving. Ounce for ounce, I doub’t wine is much better if better at all, but one doesn’t usually drink as much of a volume of wine per drinking session as beer. I’m going to check out wine’s sugar content now.

Don’t forget that alcohol adds calories as well.

xray
beers 50 º places 9 º 12:46 Sun 7/31/2005

According to the following web site:

http://www.domainesaintgeorge.com/connoisseur/wine_diet.html

the average calorie content of wine (almost 100% from sugar) is 24 calories per oz. A 12 oz. serving would weigh in at 288 calories. Ounce for ounce, you’re average wine has more sugar than your average beer. If you drank half as much wine per session as you did beer, your sugar consumption would be about equal.

whaleman
beers 2178 º places 25 º 12:50 Sun 7/31/2005

Originally posted by MRomero548
AFAIK, Bud has 10.6g of carbs per 12oz. Coke has 39g. If all sugar is created equal as far as carbs go, Coke has more.

Budweiser has a virtual original gravity of 1.045 and a final gravity of 1.009. So unfermented Budweiser wort has roughly 5 times as much "sugar" as the final product. That’s about 53 g of carbs per 12 oz. of unfermented Bud, still not even twice the amount of sugar in a Coke. If you take high gravity brewing into account, there may be a point during the brewing process when Budweiser has twice the sugar as Coke, but that’s irrelevant to the final product.

xray
beers 50 º places 9 º 13:16 Sun 7/31/2005

Originally posted by goldtwins
Don’t forget that alcohol adds calories as well.

True. A 12 0z. serving of beer at 5% acl. by volume (4% by weight), has about .48 oz of alcohol. .48 oz. equals 13.6 grams. One gram of alcohol has 7 calories. 13.6 x 7 = 95. Does a can of Budweiser really get 95 of its 145 calories from alcohol, or are my calculations screwed up?

xray
beers 50 º places 9 º 14:04 Sun 7/31/2005

Okay, I looked at my calculations again an it seems I’m correct. Budweiser gets the majority of its calories from alcohol and less than 50 of its calories come from sugar. Of course alcohol calories probably aren’t any better than sugar calories, but the wine snobs figures were way off and 7 ounces of your average wine has about as many calories from alcohol and sugar as a 12 oz. can of Bud.

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 14:35 Sun 7/31/2005

Originally posted by xray
Of course alcohol calories probably aren’t any better than sugar calories

I was reading recently where a nutritionist was saying that you can not get fat on alcohol because of the amount of effort the body has to go through to convert alcohol to something which can be converted to fat. The body will instead burn the calcories rather than try and save them, even if it means doing something useless like creating a hot flash.

If anyone is interested I’ll go hunt down the specifics along with his research references.

And this was talking about the alcohol, not the tons of unfermented sugars in a big imperial mollases honey stout.

xray
beers 50 º places 9 º 14:41 Sun 7/31/2005

I’ve read similar articles, but its hard to nail down the truth when so many studies give different results. Here is an interesting article:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_11_85/ai_n8576730