How Often do Brwers Dump Beer

Reads 3565 • Replies 33 • Started Wednesday, April 13, 2016 12:44:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 21:31 Wed 4/13/2016

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
I know a brewpub that had an infected beer that tasted of butterscotch. It was so popular they marketed it as a butter beer and continue to make a similar tasting beer to this day.

This is testing my ability to suppress a gag reflex.

BuckeyeBoy
beers 13006 º places 241 º 21:56 Wed 4/13/2016

Interesting question. Last year when I was visiting cantillon John Roy was dumping out 3 full barrels that he said he didn’t like the way they were tasting. After the beer was dumped he said they would dry the barrels and use them as fire wood over the winter. He said quality is always first for him.

DYCSoccer17
beers 3730 º places 343 º 00:16 Thu 4/14/2016

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
In my short experience in the pro brewing world, I never saw a batch dump, and it had only happened once in any employee’s memory as far as i could gather. Something about a bird getting loose in the brewhouse and then suddenly disappearing...

I worked in packaging for a summer at another MUCH larger brewery. I don’t know what went on in the brewhouse, but I know huge amounts of finished bottles would be chucked just because the labels were a little crooked or didn’t have enough glue on them. They were on the verge of rolling out a system that extract energy from the ethanol in the waste beer to help power the brewery.

So the answer is it depends a lot.

If that brewery dumped all of the beer it should have, there’d be no beer produced by said brewery.

DYCSoccer17
beers 3730 º places 343 º 00:18 Thu 4/14/2016

Originally posted by gregwilsonstl
My brother is a brewer at a well known CA brewery....he has often times told me that whenever a beer doesnt turn out like you expect, just rename it.

Greg

How does he like working for Lagunitas?

fly
beers 1490 º places 273 º 00:27 Thu 4/14/2016

Originally posted by after4ever
Questions like these are why it’s fun to buy a couple beers for pro brewers--get them tipsy enough to tell ya goofy shit about life in the brewhouse.

This. Most do not broadcast such.

peepthesot
beers 10 º places 6 º 17:53 Thu 4/14/2016

Originally posted by DietPepsican
Wonder how many brewers just rename an every day beer when it isn’t quite up to par.

Probably more often than you might think.
I’ve tasted quite a few beers coming from new breweries over the last few years that clearly _should_ have been dumped rather be sold to the public.

Berbatov
beers 30 º places 6 º 09:48 Fri 4/15/2016

talked to a texas brewer a couple days ago.

in about 200 batches. 2 dumps from the fermenter. and 4 barrels of aged stuff.
he wasn’t happy talking about it but he said he only wants quality beer to be released.

Travlr
beers 30304 º places 3522 º 09:51 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by peepthesot
Wonder how many brewers just rename an every day beer when it isn’t quite up to par.

I’ve tasted quite a few beers coming from new breweries over the last few years that clearly _should_ have been dumped rather be sold to the public.

I’ve also seen cases where mistakes are made (wrong hops added, for example) and it turns out to be a tasty beer, just not the one that the brewer intended. so a re-name and release is perfectly fine in that case. or wrong malt, or a temperature problem, where the final beer resembles a different style that what was intended

fly
beers 1490 º places 273 º 10:30 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by lithy
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
I know a brewpub that had an infected beer that tasted of butterscotch. It was so popular they marketed it as a butter beer and continue to make a similar tasting beer to this day.

This is testing my ability to suppress a gag reflex.

It has been many years, but more than one brewpub here released "Belgian style" beers that obviously should have been dumped.

fly
beers 1490 º places 273 º 11:32 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by peepthesot

I’ve also seen cases where mistakes are made (wrong hops added, for example) and it turns out to be a tasty beer, just not the one that the brewer intended. so a re-name and release is perfectly fine in that case. or wrong malt, or a temperature problem, where the final beer resembles a different style that what was intended

Close friend of mine brewed at a now defunct brewpub. I think the brewmaster might have been hungover when he started a batch and he miscalculated the grain bill exponentially. It wound up being superb! They called it One Ton stout.