How Often do Brwers Dump Beer

Reads 3566 • Replies 33 • Started Wednesday, April 13, 2016 12:44:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 11:56 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by lithy
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
I know a brewpub that had an infected beer that tasted of butterscotch. It was so popular they marketed it as a butter beer and continue to make a similar tasting beer to this day.

This is testing my ability to suppress a gag reflex.

It has been many years, but more than one brewpub here released "Belgian style" beers that obviously should have been dumped.

I judged a Belgian Pale Ale category for a homebrew club once. It seemed like everyone thought that the essential component of a Belgian Pale was to try to make an American Pale Ale and fail in one or more areas, most notably temperature control, but I couldn’t find that descriptor in the BJCP guidelines.

Kind of like how adding American in front of a style name just means that its hoppier and higher in ABV. Adding Belgian in front just means we’ll take your tired, your poor, your infected messes yearning for a category to enter.

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 12:34 Fri 4/15/2016

We’ve kept beers we referred to as "happy accidents", but we’ve also dumped beer that did not meet quality standards, and once when a mouse was found in the grain house. We also dumped a lot of grain that day.

Travlr
beers 30304 º places 3522 º 12:43 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by peepthesot
Originally posted by DietPepsican
Wonder how many brewers just rename an every day beer when it isn’t quite up to par.

Probably more often than you might think.
I’ve tasted quite a few beers coming from new breweries over the last few years that clearly _should_ have been dumped rather be sold to the public.

I’ve also seen cases where mistakes are made (wrong hops added, for example) and it turns out to be a tasty beer, just not the one that the brewer intended. so a re-name and release is perfectly fine in that case. or wrong malt, or a temperature problem, where the final beer resembles a different style that what was intended

Close friend of mine brewed at a now defunct brewpub. I think the brewmaster might have been hungover when he started a batch and he miscalculated the grain bill exponentially. It wound up being superb! They called it One Ton stout.