I turned 18 today! What are some recommendations for a beginning beer drinker?

Reads 3381 • Replies 51 • Started Sunday, September 10, 2017 10:25:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 15:49 Sun 9/10/2017

Originally posted by sloth
Originally posted by BeardedAvenger
Drink cheap pale lager. Shag girls. Do drugs. Worry about this beer rating when you hit 30 amd have nothing better to do with your life.

The only correct answer.

Except for one.

jens109
17:21 Sun 9/10/2017

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies! I appreciate it. Let's see if I can reply to all of you in one post.

First of all, yes, I'm Dutch. And there is a Dutch forum? Can somebody throw me a link?

For the people saying I don't belong here (yet), I'm not the type of guy to drink beer just to get wasted. I like to eat good food, so why shouldn't I drink good beer?

15 pints of Guinness? No thanks, Gary. Not planning on drinking myself into the hospital right now.

Orval is on my to-drink list! Thanks ebone!

hawthorne, thanks for your reply! Gulpener, Bavaria and Budvar are noted and I will keep track of the beers I drink.

HuskerTan, De Molen sounds interesting. Will try it. Thanks!

SarkyNorthener, the change from 16-18 no big deal to be honest. I was 14 and didn't care about beer at all.. It sure did make some people upset.

Thanks Travlr! Hope it was a good one. A 1.5 hour drive to De Molen is not that bad, actually. Might take my dad with me! He loves a good beer every now and then. Especially the ones from Kees, a beer brewery in our town. And I will upload my ratings, just need to figure out how everything works on RateBeer.

Hi Beersiveknown, will do that for sure.

Drake, there are two breweries in my town where you can do beer tastings. They also sell custom made beer assortments. It's a Dutch thing, too!
There's a special Abbey beer festival in my town every spring, so I guess I'm in luck when it comes to beer tasting.
Thanks for the advice. You guys from Ratebeer are great!

Hey bytemesis, happy to join the club! Uploading my ratings soon.

Zlotta and SarkyNorthener, I think lagers are indeed a good start. It's really nice that most Albert Heijns and Jumbos support local breweries and sell their beers, as well as Trappistes and other special beers. Great place to get what you were looking for and often not far away.
About the bitterness, I think it might be a matter of getting used to it. I will stick with the lighter and sweeter beers for now. Hoegaarden Witbier is on my to-drink list! Thanks guys.

Jonb5, that's great! What would you consider Belgian classics? There's Rochefort in the fridge right now. Expect a rating soon!

Thanks b3shine, noted.

Nisse666, American beers are pretty hard to come by here in the Netherlands. Maybe only the most popular ones. I think I'll go for the typical Dutch pale lagers first.

Wijze woorden Benzai, bedankt! Waar vind ik het NL forum?

Hope I didn't forget someone, haha. Didn't expect so many people to reply.

SinH4
beers 15461 º places 416 º 17:28 Sun 9/10/2017

Go for Orval (as mentioned),

Schlenkerla,

in the Netherlands look for Het Uiltje, Kees, and De Molen,

and try a couple of the standard crafts you can find in many Dutch places.

And if you feel ready and have the opportunity,
try some Lambic.

If it's convenient, go to a beer festival. Meet people. Have fun.

There's no reason why you shouldn't have all the fun SarkyNortherner mentioned while enjoying great beer.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1235 º 17:50 Sun 9/10/2017

Originally posted by jens109
First of all, yes, I'm Dutch. And there is a Dutch forum? Can somebody throw me a link?

https://www.ratebeer.com/Forums/Forum-1630.htm

dmac
beers 6644 º places 35 º 18:09 Sun 9/10/2017

Turn 21 before visiting the US.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 19:50 Sun 9/10/2017

Budvar, yes. Solid Czech pilsner, probably the best I've had. Not sure how you feel about other lagers, but there are an abundance of Oktoberfest beers out there right now. Try any beer made by Ayinger, they have yet to disappoint me on the lager front, and specifically try Celebrator.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 19:56 Sun 9/10/2017

Bro just get waxed off 12 bottles of Stella

Nisse666
beers 15290 º places 372 º 01:12 Mon 9/11/2017

Nisse666, American beers are pretty hard to come by here in the Netherlands. Maybe only the most popular ones. I think I'll go for the typical Dutch pale lagers first.

Macro is not an American phenomenon, you have loads of Dutch shit as well;): Heineken,Amstel, Grolsch, etc etc // Cheers 🍻

Ps. And I don't think u'll have an issue to find a Bud

bierkoning
beers 20176 º places 430 º 01:52 Mon 9/11/2017

Jens houd het eerst maar eens lokaal. Brouwerij Kees brouwt genoeg moois om je voorlopig bezig te houden. De rest volgt vanzelf. Kijk, proef, geniet, ontdek. En ja er is een NL forum.

craftyrocker
beers 299 º 02:56 Mon 9/11/2017

Fresh is best. Beer older than 6 months won't be at its prime, unless it's a strong dark beer.