I’ve got a fungus. PIC’s INSIDE!!!

Reads 5636 • Replies 24 • Started Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:14:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

charule
beers 2306 º places 121 º 00:59 Thu 1/7/2016

Waiting for an epic carboy drain pour video. Searched google and couldn’t find any, so you could be the first...

HornyDevil
04:54 Thu 1/7/2016

I’d rack out from under it and put an airlock on the carboy that you rack into.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 19:39 Thu 1/7/2016

Thanks for the replies. The foil thing was just temporary. I had an airlock most of the time and it’s back on now. I think I’ll blanket the inside with CO2 and let it ride for a while. If it gets worse, I’ll probably try to rack it to a new carboy... or just dump it eventually.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 19:44 Thu 1/7/2016

Originally posted by bitbucket
If that happened to me it would just toss it. Otherwise the nightmares about the The Blob would start again.

You must be old...like really old.

hopbomber
beers 88 º places 40 º 02:42 Fri 1/8/2016

Taste the brew ? Kinda obvious really does it taste ok ? Does it smell funky ? ( it should) Spontaneously fermented beer tastes quite bland to start with (mine does) with a funky aroma
Just rack it to a different fermentor leaving the blobs behind.

My souring vessel has had many many foul looking floating things a thick furry pellicle at the moment. I don’t even clean it ; I just rack the liquid out of it then do whatever (add fruit, oak, dry hop etc...)

MatSciGuy
beers 924 º 11:44 Fri 1/8/2016

Originally posted by hopbomber
Taste the brew ? Kinda obvious really does it taste ok ? Does it smell funky ? ( it should) Spontaneously fermented beer tastes quite bland to start with (mine does) with a funky aroma
Just rack it to a different fermentor leaving the blobs behind.

My souring vessel has had many many foul looking floating things a thick furry pellicle at the moment. I don’t even clean it ; I just rack the liquid out of it then do whatever (add fruit, oak, dry hop etc...)

You definitely don’t want to taste it for a little while if it was indeed a true spontaneous inoculation. The population of E. coli (and presumably other bad bugs) can be significant until the pH drops, the dissolved oxygen is utilized and the alcohol increases.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 13:26 Fri 1/8/2016

Yeah, not going to taste it until I check the pH and alcohol level.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 19:44 Wed 1/13/2016

Update... So there’s some signs of a pellicle developing now, and the brown blobs are getting a little bubbly and slimy. After weeks of inactivity, the airlock is bubbling again. Not super vigorous, but a solid burp every 20 seconds or so. I don’t think O2 is a problem anymore. Pic’s below.

Is it ok to just leave it alone since the mold patches haven’t grown or changed in any way, or should I still rack it to another carboy?

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 20:38 Wed 1/13/2016

Give it about 18 months and see what happens.

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 20:39 Wed 1/13/2016

Curious what kind of beer you began with.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer