Infected beer.... ratings?

Reads 1282 • Replies 20 • Started Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:44:42 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bottleforager
beers 3211 º places 63 º 14:44 Tue 10/2/2012

So whats a rater to do... if you pop open a beer and you know its infected, should we just move on and try to get another bottle that may or may not suffer from the same fate... or would it be helpful to rate it as infected and if someone sees a few ratings in a row of an infected batch it may help them steer clear of the problem! Your thoughts?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 15:00 Tue 10/2/2012

If it’s infected, rate it. That way it becomes a better known issue. At the same time, I’d still try and find a better sample as well.

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 15:06 Tue 10/2/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
If it’s infected, rate it. That way it becomes a better known issue. At the same time, I’d still try and find a better sample as well.

This.

bottleforager
beers 3211 º places 63 º 15:10 Tue 10/2/2012

Originally posted by b3shine

This. And make sure to say you think it’s infected in your rating.

Thats my feeling as well... I agree and will be sure to start the review with INFECTED... seems like its pure pediocucus infection... was a bit thick and viscous and soured a bit but not in a good way. After looking up other ratings and seeing it poured with a big frothy head and the fact it was a saison...

77ships
beers 14200 º places 917 º 15:11 Tue 10/2/2012

Rate it - if it is a common problem the ratings should reflect it - if I find a good bottle, I will add it to the rating if I can remember. Imagine if you could not rate for instance flat bottle of Angels Share would the ratings represent the beer you are likely to pay good money for? I think if a brewer releases bad / infected beers he has no right to complain about us badly rating it - someone paid good money and got to drink something disgusting, nice.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 15:14 Tue 10/2/2012

doesn’t happen too often based on what I see... funny thing, the folks who regularly return to the same beer in different batches/releases/vintages seem to be the most knowledgeable beer evaluators, and the folks I learn the most from.

bottleforager
beers 3211 º places 63 º 15:19 Tue 10/2/2012

Thanks for the input guys... luckily I work at a lil shop where I run the beer department at and Im good friends with my distributor so Im sure Ill be able to "trade" it out for a better one... hopefully they are not all like this because someone i ran into at a bar said they loved it.

biggsbowler
beers 635 º places 22 º 15:21 Tue 10/2/2012

I wish there was a way we could still rate it but give that beer an asterisk that wouldn’t count towards it’s score. I had an infected BA Yeti and part of the reason I didn’t rate it, was because it was infected and why would I rate a beer that would negatively effect the overall rating of the beer. Yeah I could have rerated later, when I got a different bottle, but that doesn’t always happen with an infected beer.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 15:23 Tue 10/2/2012

You know what I used to say to all the guys who bought back their beer in the pub I used to run when they reckoned it was infected. "change your lipstick".

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 15:28 Tue 10/2/2012

Originally posted by biggsbowler
I wish there was a way we could still rate it but give that beer an asterisk that wouldn’t count towards it’s score.

White Birch - 483 *ratings, no score given.

bottleforager
beers 3211 º places 63 º 15:29 Tue 10/2/2012

Originally posted by TheBookie
You know what I used to say to all the guys who bought back their beer in the pub I used to run when they reckoned it was infected. "change your lipstick".

And did they respond... "clean your lines"