IPA recipe

Reads 4844 • Replies 20 • Started Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:45:18 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 14:45 Sat 5/27/2017

Hi guys!
Want to brew an American IPA next weekend. Something more old school rather than the fruity hazy stuff of lately. Thinking something piney, resinous with a touch of citrus and approachable.

This is my recipe so far:
OG: 1066
2-row 90%
Carapils 5%
Munich 5%

60 IBU
26 IBU @ 60 mins blend of Magnum and Columbus
22 IBU @ 20 mins blend of Citra and Centennial
12 UBU @ 5 mins blend of Citra, Centennial, and Cascade

Ferment with WLP01 @ 20°C

Dryhop after 7 days, 1oz each of Citra, Centennial, and Cascade

Any comments? Thinking about dropping the Citra in favor of something more in line with the intended piney, resin note… Maybe Columbus or Amarillo?

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 14:59 Sat 5/27/2017

Nice overall. I’d personally use either Magnum or Columbus for the bittering (I prefer Warrior followed by Magnum, but whatever); with all the late additions, I don’t see the benefit of using both.

If you want something more piney with a touch of citrus, my first thought would be Simcoe. Based on what you’re going for, swapping the Citra for Simcoe would make sense to me.

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 15:20 Sat 5/27/2017

Originally posted by Fukito
Originally posted by italarican
Nice overall. I’d personally use either Magnum or Columbus for the bittering (I prefer Warrior followed by Magnum, but whatever); with all the late additions, I don’t see the benefit of using both.

If you want something more piney with a touch of citrus, my first thought would be Simcoe. Based on what you’re going for, swapping the Citra for Simcoe would make sense to me.

Yeah, thought about going all in with Columbus for bittering but was afraid that it may be too rough bitterness, so that’s why I blend it with magnum. Substituting Citra for Simcoe sound reasonable but don’t think I can get any until brew day... only alternatives would be Amarillo, Mosaic, or Galaxy... al of which are fairly fruity from what I have hear....

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 15:30 Sat 5/27/2017

I see. In that case, I think Amarillo would do the best job with Centennial and Cascade for the profile you’re going for. Others may disagree.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 15:42 Sat 5/27/2017

I might go mosaic out of those given your desires but all of them will work.

How old school are we talking here? You might want to do like 5-10% crystal 20-60 or something for "balance." I think Two Hearted has a shade under 5% crystal 40 for example.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 16:04 Sat 5/27/2017

I like amarillo as sub for citra too. Your malt base is fairly neutral so the hops will need to really carry the flavor. So, I’d also recommend one more hop addition at flame out and whirl.

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 18:33 Sat 5/27/2017

I mean old school more in terms of the hop profile than malt bill. Thinking something with the hop profile of 2 hearted/ Alpha King with a malt profile more to the side of Stone IPA, maybe a little bit fuller body but no cristal malts involved... Don´t know if this makes any sense... I Agree that Amarillo may work better in this line and save the Citra for a more fruity IPA later this year. Also thinking about a couple oz at flameout would be nice too...

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 18:36 Sat 5/27/2017

By the way, first time working with WLP01... Hace used S05 and BRY97 before, but not the liquid version. Thinking about starting at 66°F for the first 2/3 and then let if go to 68-69°F. Any input on this? Cheers!

humlelala
beers 1377 º places 89 º 02:44 Sun 5/28/2017

By the way, first time working with WLP01... Hace used S05 and BRY97 before, but not the liquid version. Thinking about starting at 66°F for the first 2/3 and then let if go to 68-69°F. Any input on this? Cheers!

I believe you mean celsius not fahrenheit in the above. Is the purpose of your first step to give a medium body or to promote beta amylase? The latter is primarily activated in the 54-65° range so if your intention is to achieve something approaching a modern, light-bodied IPA you may want to dial that step down by one degree.

Also what are your targets for FG and ABV?

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 08:23 Sun 5/28/2017

Originally posted by humlelala

I believe you mean celsius not fahrenheit in the above. Is the purpose of your first step to give a medium body or to promote beta amylase? The latter is primarily activated in the 54-65° range so if your intention is to achieve something approaching a modern, light-bodied IPA you may want to dial that step down by one degree.

Also what are your targets for FG and ABV?

I think he is discussing fermentation temperatures. Not mash temperatures.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 08:23 Sun 5/28/2017

Seems reasonable. Whatever you do, be sure to make a starter.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer