Is Joet Going To Destroy Ratebeer?

Reads 30596 • Replies 216 • Started Monday, October 23, 2017 4:07:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 19:02 Fri 10/27/2017

Originally posted by mcberko
Originally posted by cheap
Originally posted by Rasmus40
Originally posted by SinH4
Still weird that the ticks count as ratings in the user rankings...

Agreed. This doesn't seem quite right, but let's hope Joe gets to that shortly.

+2

+3

This would be a total dilution of the site's quality if you allow mere ticks to count as ratings. Joe, I really hope this is not how it's going to be.

^^^

mcberko
admin
beers 41764 º places 3073 º 01:32 Sat 10/28/2017

Originally posted by joet

This would be a total dilution of the site's quality if you allow mere ticks to count as ratings. Joe, I really hope this is not how it's going to be.

Again, your actual ratecount is in your profile and will be reflected elsewhere around the site as I make the other updates, most Monday evening.

I don't understand. Right now, ticks are included in the total rate count in all the top rater lists. Is this going to be changed?

You say you don't want to become another Untappd, but allowing ticks to blend with ratings is certainly a major step in that direction. I would be extremely disappointed to see this and have serious doubts about whether I'd want to bother continuing to participate here.

Inbreak
beers 9908 º 02:44 Sat 10/28/2017

All of a sudden the "old" activity page stopped working, in Eric's app as well. And the "new" latest activity page won't show anything on friends and global....

cgarvieuk
beers 37576 º places 457 º 03:01 Sat 10/28/2017

Again, your actual ratecount is in your profile and will be reflected elsewhere around the site as I make the other updates, most Monday evening.

I don't understand. Right now, ticks are included in the total rate count in all the top rater lists. Is this going to be changed?

You say you don't want to become another Untappd, but allowing ticks to blend with ratings is certainly a major step in that direction. I would be extremely disappointed to see this and have serious doubts about whether I'd want to bother continuing to participate here.

Why? I dont understand why the way RB counts how many beers someone else's has had, should affect how useful ratebeer is to you.

cgarvieuk
beers 37576 º places 457 º 03:01 Sat 10/28/2017

Why? I dont understand why the way RB counts how many beers someone else's has had, should affect how useful ratebeer is to you.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 04:57 Sat 10/28/2017

If you rate a beer and then tick it, the tick score replaces your real score

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 16:38 Sat 10/28/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by chriso

I'd imagine that will be rectified. Joe's still working on this stuff. Clearly they shouldn't count as full ratings.

Im not sure about that.
I think if RB is to grow, and i think it needs to grow to survive, while we want to keep all the good things we have and build on that data, i dont think we want to put of people who want a more untappd like experience or make them feel 2nd class.

While I agree with you on "need to grow" and "we don't want to put of people who want a more UT like experience" but I definitely feel we need to keep this ratebeer. Of course we don't want anyone to feel 2nd class but there's nothing wrong with a slight incentive to start rating. For instance the rate count or stats. So I too hope that ticks won't count towards the total / won't merge with ratings and averages.

wheresthepath
beers 3440 º places 277 º 17:51 Sat 10/28/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
If you rate a beer and then tick it, the tick score replaces your real score

Yes, and this is very easy to do by accident if your finger strays too near the stars on the beer's webpage - very annoying.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 18:46 Sat 10/28/2017

Originally posted by Benzai
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by chriso

I'd imagine that will be rectified. Joe's still working on this stuff. Clearly they shouldn't count as full ratings.

Im not sure about that.
I think if RB is to grow, and i think it needs to grow to survive, while we want to keep all the good things we have and build on that data, i dont think we want to put of people who want a more untappd like experience or make them feel 2nd class.

While I agree with you on "need to grow" and "we don't want to put of people who want a more UT like experience" but I definitely feel we need to keep this ratebeer. Of course we don't want anyone to feel 2nd class but there's nothing wrong with a slight incentive to start rating. For instance the rate count or stats. So I too hope that ticks won't count towards the total / won't merge with ratings and averages.

Yeah, I have thought about that too. My concern is that under the new system people will be incentivised to start ticking rather than writing a review (because it's easier and they get their stats either way) and then we could find ourselves in a weird position where most people are ticking but their ratings don't actually affect the beer's score. This could eventually put pressure on the site management to make ticks count towards the score. If ticks counted, there would be no reason to leave a review, other than pure geekery. Some people would probably still leave reviews (a lot of the pre-changes people) but you'd have to go searching for them amongst the ticks and Ratebeer's USP over, for example, Untappd would no longer be there.

RB always needs to be considering what makes it unique over other rating websites and what creates the draw for people to use it. We do lack raters on Ratebeer - especially in the UK - so something needs to change. I guess the hope under the new system is that RB will appeal to people because of the stats and then when they join RB they might decide to start leaving reviews in order to affect a beer's score. I think that this could potentially work, but it would backfire if ticks were ever made to count towards the score.

One of the main benefits of Untappd is the location data for beers. It would be ideal if this could be captured as part of RB ticks as it would help people find beers and lead to a better 'places' database.

TL;DR - Giving stats for ticks may be the main thing that attracts new users. Ticks should never count towards the score if RB wants to keep its USP. It would be great if ticks required location data to be filled in.

SinH4
beers 15466 º places 416 º 20:09 Sat 10/28/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
TL;DR - Giving stats for ticks may be the main thing that attracts new users. Ticks should never count towards the score if RB wants to keep its USP. It would be great if ticks required location data to be filled in.

Good arguments. I disagree in the point that there is no reason to write reviews other than geekery, because well, that's what we do by definition. Many of us took notes before they were ratebeerians, and many of us will continue to do that. It will probably be more of a problem to make new users write down reviews than people who used to write reviews switching over to ticks.

Also, come on, if you can't put together 75 characters, then wtf. One generic example, which is more or less how I write my reviews:

{Bottle, Tap}. {Clear, Hazy} {pale, dark, deep} {yellow, orange, golden, brown, red, ruby, black} color with {small, medium, large} {white, tan, off-white, eggshell, beige, brown} head which is {stable, unstable}. Aroma is {}. Taste is {}. {Low, medium, high} carbonation with {oily, silky, slick, watery} mouthfeel and a {light, medium, heavy} body. {Good one, not for me, bad one, okay, drinkable}.

Even the minimum of all these choices, without writing anything about aroma and taste, gives exactly 140 characters, which is the Untappd maximum. And you can write this stuff down in less than a minute, it's not like even the most hardcore tickers can't do that.