Is RB dead?

Reads 18624 • Replies 225 • Started Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:58:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

poisoneddwarf
beers 5612 º places 26 º 17:50 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by Frank
I always thought RB was the geekiest hands down. BA is a the hype train and Untappd is for dirty, filthy casuals.

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 17:52 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by Frank
Untappd is for dirty, filthy casuals.

Preach.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 18:39 Mon 3/27/2017

Secret forums are super busy. Maybe your old friends got sick of the regular people forums and went double premium.

OnTheTrail
beers 1271 º places 37 º 19:15 Mon 3/27/2017

I am glad RB is still here. After having several threads locked on BA, I got nervous I might say something to be banned and moved my ratings here (I never did get banned there, but don’t post in the forums that much - after a while the same repeated debates get tiresome. Not interested in untapped, as iIUC its all about people liking each other’s ratings, and I don’t think I need that. I am glad I can contribute here in a small way by adding beers, reviewing places, as well as rating.

I will say this place can be a little intimidating in terms of ticking. While the regulars at BA seem to look down on ticking (it, along with the focus on local "is killing craft beer") here getting a few hundred ticks is like nothing. I don’t drink more than a few pints a week, and I don’t do massive amounts of samples and tastes, so I am just not going to get numbers very high, even though I hardly ever have the same beer twice.

SHIG
admin
beers 13063 º places 502 º 19:21 Mon 3/27/2017

Alaska is the perfect example of where RB has the smallest footprint, but the biggest respect from the Brewing community. Untappd rules the user traffic in this state. The issue is there no content for breweries and places to build off or tweak their craft. 4* and no written text, come on! BA used to see the highest traffic mainly because of trades and beer community in the early days. I know 3 people that would move all their ratings to RB right now from BA if there was a program to convert them. Even they have shifted a bit to try and get the casual user to give number ratings.

This whole discussion has reminded me why I am going to move back to Europe after I retire retire. RB is alive and well there.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 22:23 Mon 3/27/2017

We are still growing and in double digits year to year in page views. Most of our growth is outside the US. We hope the new apps help. Look for them for everyone in late Summer

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 22:31 Mon 3/27/2017

I still regularly use this site, but if I need fast opinions, and guarantee that a beer will be in the database I use Untappd. A lot of people I know have transitioned there and make fun of Ratebeer as a dinosaur. Untappd and beermenus has been much more helpful for planning my upcoming trip than Ratebeer unfortunately.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 22:44 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by phaleslu
I just skimmed this, but has no one mentioned Facebook? Everything is happening on Facebook

I guess this explains why I’m still on RB, I don’t book the face.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 22:50 Mon 3/27/2017

I’m still around. RB is still the only site that I use to find out what’s new and actually worth trading for. BA and Untappd are both unreliable when it comes to that.

I’ve been slacking socially, but I’ll make my way to some future ratebeer-sponsored events.

BuckeyeBoy
beers 17521 º places 275 º 22:55 Mon 3/27/2017

I spend more time on RateBeer now then ever. I don’t do Facebook or Untapped, so this is my social media i guess.
We have a pretty active group in Boise with about 8-10 guys on the site, so that helps with adding new stuff.