ISO: Blabaer FT: HF Ephraim, CBS/KBS, List

Reads 1467 • Replies 18 • Started Monday, October 1, 2012 7:55:02 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

oteyj
beers 2138 º places 14 º 17:30 Wed 10/3/2012

Originally posted by pushkinwow
Did Sean up changing his mind on the Ephraim? I thought he said no to growlers?

There were growler fills available at the Harvest Fest, and now at the retail shop. The reason there were going to be no growler fills is because of situations like this- people buying growlers, sitting on them, then shipping them just for the recipient to sit on until their next tasting. I know I really enjoyed my growler the next day, and am sure many others did as well. It would be a bummer not to have that. Just doesn’t seem prudent to be shipping growlers of non counter pressure IPA, but that’s just me.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 17:34 Wed 10/3/2012

Originally posted by oteyj

There were growler fills available at the Harvest Fest, and now at the retail shop. The reason there were going to be no growler fills is because of situations like this- people buying growlers, sitting on them, then shipping them just for the recipient to sit on until their next tasting. I know I really enjoyed my growler the next day, and am sure many others did as well. It would be a bummer not to have that. Just doesn’t seem prudent to be shipping growlers of non counter pressure IPA, but that’s just me.

Have you ever tried one of the growler swaps we do? I’ve had great luck with many beers that fit in the Ephraim category and ABV range. The few times I’ve had HF they hold up just fine to shipping. I can’t imagine this beer is the exception to the rule.

grassrootsvt
19:56 Wed 10/3/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan

Have you ever tried one of the growler swaps we do? I’ve had great luck with many beers that fit in the Ephraim category and ABV range. The few times I’ve had HF they hold up just fine to shipping. I can’t imagine this beer is the exception to the rule.

Definitely have to side with Oteyj on this one... straight from the source.

thome50
beers 1295 º places 34 º 20:03 Wed 10/3/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan

This. I’ve had Hill Farmstead growlers a week and two plus weeks old in both 64oz and 750ml formats and they have all been outstanding. I’m not advocating to sit on a growler for weeks to trade it for something crazy but I certainly don’t see a huge drop off with normal shipping times.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 20:07 Wed 10/3/2012

Growlers are a huge part of the beer nerd scene and culture. I’ve had 2 week old growlers of younger that have been superb. hand bottles too. I’ve had about 100 random growlers from across the country and have enjoyed them very much. They’re usually fresher and better than most beers on the shelf. If your beer is somehow an exception to the rule and can’t stand up to that according to you, don’t growler it. Please. I’d hate to waste my money on shipping to get a shitty beer. Nothing I hate more than a dead iIPA.

xerenthar
07:47 Thu 10/4/2012

hey hey now. i didn’t want to start an argument about the merits of trading etc. i realize this is an IIPA and not a sour or saison and this thread’s shelf life is about over. blabaer is the beer i’ve been chasing forever and this was my one idea of how to get it. if i don’t get one, cool, i’ll drink my ephraim, because it’s an A+ beer. i’m not going to be sitting on it for the next tasting or to trade in a month.

CityofBals
09:28 Thu 10/4/2012

I don’t understand how some huge beers are being traded for a regular growler fill of an IPA... By the time it gets to the trader (most likely a few weeks after the fill in this case) it’ll be cardboard, wont it?

GoGriz
15:01 Thu 10/4/2012

The answer is no. No it wont be cardboard. It will be totally fine unless the growler itself is leaking air (which happens from time to time) which will lead to it being flat. Even then however the flavor may still be intact although not as enjoyable since we all like a little carb in our beer. Hoppy beers fall off of their peak freshness after awhile but when exactly this happens is not a science and growlers, when done correctly, last a decently long time in my experience. In all reality, pepsiedcan is completely and utterly correct about this growler situation and people are out of their minds.

Trading Policy  

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

View Beer Deliveries
New To Trading?
Mail Order Beer
 P  Most Wanted Beer