I’ve got a fungus. PIC’s INSIDE!!!

Reads 5662 • Replies 24 • Started Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:14:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 10:14 Wed 1/6/2016

My first spontaneous fermentation. I tried to roughly follow a turbid mash schedule and then did a long boil, covered my kettle with some cheese cloth and let it cool overnight in my 35 F garage. Then I racked it to a carboy...no additional yeast or bacteria was pitched. After 3 days, I had visible signs of fermentation that lasted a week or so, and then it dropped clear. It’s been about 5 weeks since that time, and I have what appears to be white moldy patches on the surface, but I’m not 100% sure. Take a look:

Sorry for the quality of the pictures.... the white patches are pure white and are kind of fuzzy. I’m not sure what the big brown blobs are... coagulated proteins?

The fuzziness of the white stuff makes me think it’s mold, but I know pellicles can sometimes look like powdered sugar. Anyone ever see something like this before?

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 10:23 Wed 1/6/2016

paging Dr. CLevar

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 11:50 Wed 1/6/2016

That looks like fun, guy.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 12:50 Wed 1/6/2016

ewww

dinkle50
beers 1660 º places 136 º 14:25 Wed 1/6/2016

Can’t be good. I actually had a dream recently that I took off the jacket around my carboy and there was mold on top. Not sure how to fix this!

phaleslu
admin
beers 16533 º places 792 º 14:27 Wed 1/6/2016

Originally posted by Homer321
That looks like fun, guy.

Wowe. We have a fungus among us.

CLevar
places 23 º 15:08 Wed 1/6/2016

Looks like mold to me. Mold requires oxygen to grow, which is why it can be a problem when you don’t get any fermentation early to draw down the O2 and give you a CO2 blanket. But, it sounds like you had a good ferment before this problem came up?

I guess I’d just purge the headspace with CO2 and keep an eye on it. If it turns into more of a normal looking pelicle I wouldn’t worry. Right now there’s not much to do but wait and see. No harm in that. I would NOT sample it though.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 15:57 Wed 1/6/2016

Thanks Caleb. I have access to a microscope, so I was thinking of getting a sample to check, but I think you’re right.

Do you think it’s worth taking a gravity reading and checking pH?

CLevar
places 23 º 19:00 Wed 1/6/2016

Checking grav and pH isn’t really going to tell you if you have mold or not. A high pH is permissive for mold, and residual extract isn’t going to help matters either, but without oxygen you should be ok.

On that topic, is the aluminum foil the only thing on that carboy? That could be the source of the problem. Thats not going to slow down oxygen diffusion at all once active ferm has ceased.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 22:20 Wed 1/6/2016

RIP OTD

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 23:09 Wed 1/6/2016

If that happened to me it would just toss it. Otherwise the nightmares about the The Blob would start again.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer