J.F. Walleye’s and St. Hazards - Middle Bass

Reads 782 • Replies 5 • Started Friday, October 24, 2014 1:17:33 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 13:17 Fri 10/24/2014

Do any of you guys know anything about these places out on Middle Bass Island? Neither of them have much of a web presence, especially beer-wise, so I can’t tell if either is actually still brewing beer. They don’t appear to be the same place; one thought I had was that there may have been a name switch.

St. Hazards says something about having a Blond Ale ready by mid-July, but I see nothing after that anywhere.

J.F. Walleye’s has a Light and a Dark in the database, which have definitely both been brewed before, but I don’t see anything about their house beers lately.

I’ve never been up there, so I don’t know much about either, except they’ve brewed in the past. Any insight is appreciated.

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 06:04 Mon 10/27/2014

Have you tried calling them? Being late October I have a feeling they are closed for the season. Most of the breweries up there in Put in Bay seem to only operate during the peak season since there isn’t enough demand otherwise.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 06:14 Mon 10/27/2014

Called last week. No answer. But FB/Twitter said this was their last weekend open. Guess I’ll have to wait until May.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 08:27 Mon 10/27/2014

I know that Walleye’s still does brew. I have no idea as to their system or capacity, or even quality of their beers as the last time I was there was mid September and they were all out and would not be brewing any more until the next spring.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 11:04 Mon 10/27/2014

Wasn’t Walleye’s going to open a place on Catawba?

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 11:08 Mon 10/27/2014

This place opened last year: http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/catawba-island-brewing-company/16433/

And something I saw somewhere (can’t find it now, of course) suggested that a couple of the people involved came over from Walleye’s. Catawba Island, though, is a legit year-round brewery with plenty of offerings and so forth.

Thanks for confirming Walleye’s still brews, Cliff. They have two entries, Light and Dark, and I haven’t found evidence of other beers.

St. Hazards probably made that Blonde at some point over the summer but even Untappd didn’t capture it, if it happened.

I guess I’ll leave it all alone for now. Just trying to keep the database up-to-date. Ohio is up to 105 active brewers, by the way. It’s been a big October in terms of new ones opening.