Kegerator suggestions

Reads 2027 • Replies 11 • Started Monday, July 27, 2015 7:22:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Beerman6686
beers 6607 º places 149 º 19:22 Mon 7/27/2015

So I’m tired of bottling homebrew, so decided to start kegging therefore I need to get a kegerator. Any suggestions on a quality dual tap one that’s not crazy expensive ( under a grand) ?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 19:24 Mon 7/27/2015

A lot of homebrewers have success building a keezer or using a fridge. I recommend looking around HomeBrewTalk or Google... there are some good instructions and you’ll have something much cooler and personal than a kegerator! Just a thought!

Beerman6686
beers 6607 º places 149 º 19:53 Mon 7/27/2015

Originally posted by drowland
A lot of homebrewers have success building a keezer or using a fridge. I recommend looking around HomeBrewTalk or Google... there are some good instructions and you’ll have something much cooler and personal than a kegerator! Just a thought!

Unfortunately I don’t have the space for a full freezer or full fridge as I’m in an apartment.

skinnyguy
09:08 Tue 7/28/2015

Originally posted by Beerman6686
Originally posted by drowland

Unfortunately I don’t have the space for a full freezer or full fridge as I’m in an apartment.

If you are going to purchase a new fridge, make cutouts of the bottom of your kegs on pieces of paper. Then you can bring those to the store and make sure they will fit inside the configuration.

Craigslist usually has plenty of small kegerator options, but I think Homedepot and those places often carry at least one option (around $400 to $600).

Otherwise, if you can squeeze in a small chest freezer that’s definitely the way to go. You can build a collar and run taps and gas lines through. Running the gas line through a collar allows you to have a tighter fit on the kegs, since you can keep the tank outside.

mdg164
09:49 Tue 7/28/2015

There is a certain model mini fridge that fits two corny kegs. I can’t help you with the specifics though. A friend bought it for like $150, not sure what the rest of the parts cost. The CO2/N2 doesn’t fit inside, and has to be hidden behind the fridge. But it turned out awesome, there are two tap handles on the front of the door, he covered the front with brewery stickers.

skinnyguy
10:28 Tue 7/28/2015

Originally posted by mdg164
There is a certain model mini fridge that fits two corny kegs. I can’t help you with the specifics though. A friend bought it for like $150, not sure what the rest of the parts cost. The CO2/N2 doesn’t fit inside, and has to be hidden behind the fridge. But it turned out awesome, there are two tap handles on the front of the door, he covered the front with brewery stickers.

I think Danby is usually the brand of choice, though I can’t recall a specific model.

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 10:30 Tue 7/28/2015

In December I bought one off CraigsList. Mine was a single tap but 2 corny kegs fit in it just fine. It was necessary to drill out the top outlet hole but it was made of styro foam and was very easy.

It took a while to find one for a good price. Most of them (used) were around $350. I managed to get mine for $180.

The hardware for the 2 taps were found at a homebrew store and did cost a little more than hoped. They look great, though.

Also, I tried very hard to find a mini fridge that would fit 2 corny kegs and was not successful. If you are going to do a fridge setup I would suggest finding an old full sized one and using that. There are very nice setups for freezers and some people put up to 6 taps on theirs. There is a controller for the proper temperature setting that is easy to install.

coldbrewky
beers 1731 º places 82 º 12:11 Tue 7/28/2015

Originally posted by Beerman6686
So I’m tired of bottling homebrew, so decided to start kegging therefore I need to get a kegerator. Any suggestions on a quality dual tap one that’s not crazy expensive ( under a grand) ?

You can buy mine! Its a converted fridge that still keeps its freezer. Regulator, co2tank taps and handles. I’ll make you a crazy stupid deal. I’ll even toss in the 3 corny kegs and all the fittings. Just get it out of my basement!

coldbrewky
beers 1731 º places 82 º 12:14 Tue 7/28/2015

Its scary that we have the same quote from Cheers on our profile.

jandd1983
beers 7629 º places 418 º 18:28 Tue 7/28/2015

Originally posted by Strykzone
In December I bought one off CraigsList. Mine was a single tap but 2 corny kegs fit in it just fine. It was necessary to drill out the top outlet hole but it was made of styro foam and was very easy.

It took a while to find one for a good price. Most of them (used) were around $350. I managed to get mine for $180.

The hardware for the 2 taps were found at a homebrew store and did cost a little more than hoped. They look great, though.

Also, I tried very hard to find a mini fridge that would fit 2 corny kegs and was not successful. If you are going to do a fridge setup I would suggest finding an old full sized one and using that. There are very nice setups for freezers and some people put up to 6 taps on theirs. There is a controller for the proper temperature setting that is easy to install.

One of these days I will get to see and maybe try a beer or two.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 21:20 Tue 7/28/2015

I’d suggest craiglist and one that can hold 3 kegs. That way you probably have 2 taps ready while the 3rd is carbing/conditioning.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer