Least Favorite Style

Reads 4774 • Replies 102 • Started Monday, July 3, 2017 12:08:53 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 15:47 Fri 7/7/2017

Originally posted by ebone1988
Originally posted by RichTheVillan
Milds are great low boost cask action

I have no way to get cask Milds in America. Most of my favuoriute British beers are completely different malt bills in America.
I don’t entirely know what you mean here, but I agree with your sentiment for the most part. I have seen casked milds at British-focused taverns in Midwest and East Coast states, and have been 7-years familiar of Real Ale exhibitions/fests featured in a plethora of states that strive to put that oh-so desired English pub feel in our hearts. And a lot of it is wonderfully imported from the source. It’s rare, but it has happened. Though I can only think of maybe three (or less!) examples of US milds that startlingly tasted authentic. What I’m saying is that in all my years in this community, on Ratebeer, and spent on home brewing with friends and coworkers have I only had three US-brewed milds that I was convinced would have fooled Britons if tapped in the UK. And in all three occasions I jokingly thought that each head brewer responsible for their iteration must either have been born in England or at the very least got taught by someone from England. That says a lot about the style in this country, I think.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 15:55 Fri 7/7/2017

Well I need to run into a true Mild then.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 16:18 Fri 7/7/2017

They’re not even really worth looking for in all honestly. By the time you actually do manage to find a decent US Mild will be more than enough time for you to realize that we just don’t have a big mild demand here to begin with and a lot of time searching for it had been a waste of time.

Are you from the UK by the way? It just sounds like you’re familiar with the style and certain UK brands. You could also just be an American with an affinity for British beers. Anything is possible.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 17:28 Fri 7/7/2017

Originally posted by radarsock
They’re not even really worth looking for in all honestly. By the time you actually do manage to find a decent US Mild will be more than enough time for you to realize that we just don’t have a big mild demand here to begin with and a lot of time searching for it had been a waste of time.

Are you from the UK by the way? It just sounds like you’re familiar with the style and certain UK brands. You could also just be an American with an affinity for British beers. Anything is possible.

I am not British. The only reason I know is because I looked up the difference between Old Speckled Hen Cask and Old Speckled Hen Bottled. I found out it needs the extra malt to make the trip overseas, so it became an ESB instead of being just a regular Bitter. And it makes sense in the same way that the IPA was born out of necessity to get pale ales to India and not have the hops fall off. In terms of Mild, I’ve never had one that tasted like much, so I feel like a trip to England is necessary to experience it and other British styles. I’ve recently expanded my palate out of my normal comfort zones and I have found a few British, German, and Belgian styles that I enjoy a lot, and being a person obsessed, love to know about style history and evolution. One day I’m sure to have a great Mild, but I doubt it’ll happen here in Michigan.

tricksta_p
beers 12009 º places 413 º 20:04 Fri 7/7/2017

Barrel aged sugary alcohol bombs, think Barley Wines (though I love the hoppy American variety)
Kristalweizen
Pale Lager
Heller Bock
Radler
Faro

Jow
beers 7335 º places 487 º 20:12 Fri 7/7/2017

Call me a flaming NYC libtard but I like all the styles and feel they all add something.

Cheers

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 20:21 Fri 7/7/2017

Originally posted by Jow
Call me a flaming NYC libtard but I like all the styles and feel they all add something.

Cheers
I’m not going to call you any demeaning nicknames though your sentence certainly did not add anything to the discussion.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 20:31 Fri 7/7/2017

Originally posted by Jow

Cheers

But there’s one out there you like the least, I bet.

Jow
beers 7335 º places 487 º 20:38 Fri 7/7/2017

Originally posted by Jow

Cheers

But there’s one out there you like the least, I bet.

Well then sugar bombs in whatever style they can be found, imp stout, barley wine, dipa, Belgian strong ale. Like plenty from those groups but not the sweet ones.

Jow
beers 7335 º places 487 º 20:41 Fri 7/7/2017

And if really pressed I’ll go smoked as worst