Let’s talk Cheese.

Reads 14796 • Replies 108 • Started Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:57:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

OKBeerFan
beers 67 º places 1 º 19:54 Sun 12/27/2015

Philadelphia

spacecoyote
20:18 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by Mayor McCheese
Originally posted by spacecoyote
I find that ’hot cheeses’ like pepper jack are best when used in prepared foods like melts, bakes and casseroles.

Old hard Gouda is one of my favorites, very candy-like, almost as good as Brooklyn-made chocolate.

Can’t argue with your first sentence, although I would use herbs/spices for some heat in such dishes. I know nothing of Brooklyn-made chocolate but I do know most US chocolate is usually a lot sweeter than our UK bars. Are you saying Brooklyn has a salty bite to it, like Old Hard Gouda can have?

<*))))))><

Herbs and spices for some dishes, melty gooey cheap hot cheese for others.

I find that it’s the sweetness of old hard cheese, like this 60-month Gouda, that stands out more than anything. The comparison to Brooklyn chocolate was a shot across the bow, directed at the drama in the media about Mast Brothers*. Though it is an apt comparison. aesthetically speaking, to liken the appeal of cheese like the one we’re discussing to that of fine candy.

(* I’ve always liked Mast Brothers.)

rondphoto
beers 5177 º places 236 º 21:09 Sun 12/27/2015

There are a lot of cheeses I like a lot, but, for enjoying with a beer that I want to fully appreciate, I like Cream Havarti and Carr’s Wafers the best because they keep the palate clean while providing a non-specific counter for the beer.

Dogbrick
beers 18567 º places 883 º 21:35 Sun 12/27/2015

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 22:16 Sun 12/27/2015

I find goats cheese works well with source beers, wild and funky

Very little cheese in fridge as we’re away (usual vintage cheddar, feta, generic soft goats, halloum)i had a lovely st tola goats log & young buck blue cheese recently

Was also v tempted by an epoisses in m&s but nowhere to keep it cool

Ibrew2or3
beers 10533 º places 353 º 23:00 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by BOLTZ7555
Wow, didn’t expect a post like this and had to head to my fridge to inspect. Here’s what I found:
Maytag Blue
Mahon Spanish
Humboldt Fog
Danish Havarti
Castello Danish Fontina
Point Reyes Blue
Port Salut
Black Diamond Grand Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar
Silver Goat Chèvre Goat Cheese
Shaved Parmesan

Whew...that is a lot of cheese!

1st thing, I can help you with this cheese problem.

2nd, I eat whatever cheese this guy brings to a tasting

http://www.ratebeer.com/user/33417/

Even if it stinks up the neighborhood.

Fin
beers 17269 º places 1653 º 00:14 Mon 12/28/2015

Stilton
Chource
Welsh Cave Aged Cheddar
Blue Goats Cheese (forgot name)
Feta
Parmesan

That’s it I think. Though echo the thoughts of others aged Gouda is superb.

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 00:16 Mon 12/28/2015

just have some reg cabot cheddars now, but need some Jasper Hills Winnimere in my life stat.

furthur
beers 2164 º places 40 º 00:49 Mon 12/28/2015

You all are regular cheese heads! I’ve got a half of a lancashire bomb I got for Christmas, some generic soft goat cheese, a bric of med cheddar, a bric of tillamook Swiss (who bought that?), and some cheep string cheese we use for dog treats.

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 03:59 Mon 12/28/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
[/quote>
Yeah, California... think of the prices in London, and how they compare to Shropshire. Kentucky is more like Shropshire than London, I’d imagine.

And you are not too far from Abergavenny- do you see a good bit of Red Dragon in Shropshire?

Cali and London prices are ’over the top’ I suppose, local knowledge can help bringing them down a little, Shropshire is fine usually although like anywhere there are some expensive food outlets and Deli’s if you are feeling rich.

<*))))))><

A few Welsh cheeses get across the border, can’t say I have seen any Red Dragon though.

<*))))))><