Lidl Hatherwood beers brewed at Shepherd Neame

Reads 36330 • Replies 18 • Started Friday, March 17, 2017 4:18:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 16:18 Fri 3/17/2017

According to the latest newsletter from the Sheps BLO whose gen I trust as he has been putting a BLO newsletter out for more years than I can remember.

"An interesting new development is the Hatherwood range of bottled beers for the Lidl supermarket company. These were formerly brewed by Marston’s. There are six in the range. They are all brewery-conditioned. In addition to the names they carry numbers, except for one.

They are No 1 Golden Goose (3.8%), a golden ale; No 2 Green Gecko (5.0%), an IPA; No 3 Amber Adder (4.3%), an amber ale; No 4 Ruby Rooster (3.8%), a ruby ale; No 5 Purple Panther (5.0%), a porter, and Gnarly Fox (4.5%), a lager. I believe the No 6 Ginger Grizzly (4.0%) and the tinned Hatherwood Premium Bitter (3.6%) are brewed elsewhere."

So the beers probably need an update.

BlackHaddock
beers 15433 º places 1050 º 16:23 Fri 3/17/2017

Does this mean I’ve got to drink them all again?

<*))))))><

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 17:06 Fri 3/17/2017

Originally posted by BlackHaddock

<*))))))><

Not if they are the same recipe, no.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 17:14 Fri 3/17/2017

From Memory the Purple Panther was worth trying again.

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 22:00 Sun 3/19/2017

Originally posted by harrisoni

<*))))))><

Under traditional scooper rules, yes. Under RateBeer rules, no. I kind of hover between the two. As Lidl is now my local supermarket, and the beers are cheap and drinkable, I don’t have a problem with doing them all again.

jjsint
beers 7711 º places 1334 º 04:36 Mon 3/20/2017

Does this mean I get to drink them all again?

<*))))))><

Fixed it for you!

alovelydrop
beers 70 º places 97 º 05:28 Mon 3/20/2017

I had the Green Gecko a couple of days ago, brewed at Marstons, and was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty decent.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:44 Mon 3/20/2017

Originally posted by SilkTork

<*))))))><

Under traditional scooper rules, yes. Under RateBeer rules, no. I kind of hover between the two. As Lidl is now my local supermarket, and the beers are cheap and drinkable, I don’t have a problem with doing them all again.

Are the Shepherd Neame beers on the shelves yet? Is it possible to tell? Do the bottles look the same? I know that Shepherd Neame use distinctively shaped bottles for their own beers and have used those bottles for (some?) contract beers.

I’d guess that, in a case like this, it’s quite likely that Lidl has specified the broad parameters of the beers and left the brewery to devise the recipes. Lidl may not have / own the recipes to pass on so that they can be exactly duplicated at Shepherd Neame.

This isn’t really the same situation as an actual brewer tweaking one of their recipes without the intention to market it as a different beer. If they’re different recipes and easily distinguishable to the the consumer I’d say they’d be different beers for RateBeer purposes.

More information required I guess.

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 07:22 Mon 3/20/2017

Originally posted by chriso

Are the Shepherd Neame beers on the shelves yet? Is it possible to tell? Do the bottles look the same? I know that Shepherd Neame use distinctively shaped bottles for their own beers and have used those bottles for (some?) contract beers.

By chance I was in Lidl on Saturday, had a look at the beers and noticed that several were there in two different shapes of bottle. I just assumed it was Marstons changing the bottle, but now I realise what it really was. So if one of us is quick we should be able to get both versions for a side-by-side.

More information required I guess.

Indeed....

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 07:24 Mon 3/20/2017

Part of me really hopes they’re not the same - Goose and Rooster were somewhere between meh and pretty dreadful.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 08:15 Mon 3/20/2017

Originally posted by BeerViking
So if one of us is quick we should be able to get both versions for a side-by-side.

I’ve got all the Marstons versions in the fridge & haven’t got round to drinking them yet, so it shouldn’t be too difficult. Assuming I get to a Lidl in the foreseeable future.