Mass online Tasting / Memorial to Simon

Reads 4212 • Replies 123 • Started Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:55:15 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 12:45 Fri 7/26/2013

Originally posted by Fin
Originally posted by harrisoni
OK, so I have the rest of my second bottle of Jaipur, a bottle of Thornbridge Halcyon, an Orval from 2011 and a Bracia to go.

Looks like I’m talking to myself.

And Simon, of course.

Cheers Simon. You were right. The Jaipur at The Coach & Horses in Dronfield was spectacular.

You’re not on your own, Craig is still about and I am checking in when I can from this small field. However need a refill so off to bar soon.

How’s the music?

Couldn’t find any Pearl Jam, so Radiohead will have to do.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 12:53 Fri 7/26/2013

"apparently limoncello on a Monday has no adverse effect. Let’s see if that’s the case..."

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 12:55 Fri 7/26/2013

"Lemongrass chicken in the pan. Limoncello in the freezer. Let’s take this Bank Holiday to the point of quivering excitement"

Fin
beers 17268 º places 1653 º 12:56 Fri 7/26/2013

The Tuts didn’t really do it for me, next up Bis.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 12:57 Fri 7/26/2013

I pick these tweets as examples of the person I knew. Fun, enjoying life, full of love.

Drinking Oakham Bishops Farewell with Simon in the Smithfield Hotel in Derby. Priceless.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 13:10 Fri 7/26/2013

OK, so now onto Thornbridge Halcyon

Anyone who was at RBESG in Sheffield and made it to the University Arms would have had the Epic/Thornbridge version of this where the Marketing Director of Thornbridge, the most marvellous Alex Buchanan, brought a firkin of this beer and slipped the pump clip to me and Simon and said, anyone who wanted a free beer, could show the clip to the bar staff and they’d go out back and get a pint for us.

Since then it’s grown into one of my favourite British straight up IPAs and a train beer from The Bottle Shop in Canterbury to Ashford, downing it in 16 minutes.

Simon also enjoyed this beer quite a lot.

"Cask (handpull) Harlequin Autumn beer festival, Sheffield. Amidst a sea of hlaf-drinking tickers, here I was with a pint of Halcyon. This had been crammed full of extra hops and certainly had a full floral nose complete with itchy hayfevery nosefeel. Sustained alcohol all the way down, tempered by clean citrics. The second pint was finer, the third pint sublime. I was expecting this to be rampant hoppiness and was kindly surprised to find it more than drinkable. If Jaipur is athletic, Halcyon is muscular - and revels in flexing its way down your throat."

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 13:11 Fri 7/26/2013

Thornbridge/Epic Halcyon

"Cask (handpull) Coach & Horses Dronfield and from the jug, RBESG 2009, University Arms, Sheffield. Like a hippy falling into a drunken citric punchbowl; an inate sense of love spreads with flowers round your ears, knickbocker glory notes to the palate and a malt base than even a fruit-addled wasp would stick to. The third pint was a bit of a struggle, mind..."

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 13:11 Fri 7/26/2013

Originally posted by harrisoni
How are you Craig? What’s been good recently? Is Edinburgh still good for beers?

https://twitter.com/HangingBatChris/status/360839536873467904/photo/1

Its gone down hill of late

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 13:23 Fri 7/26/2013

How is estrella damm a Scottish craft beer?

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 13:27 Fri 7/26/2013

The Thornbridge Halcyon is making me quite drunk.

Orval April 2011 next.

Then the original batch of Bracia, complete with 4-5 year old dust straight from the cellar. Or garage as some people would call it, but it has never seen a car. I mean it’s got 3 bikes in it and about a dozen cases of Belgian beer, but never a car.