Massive ticking Explanation

Reads 5375 • Replies 78 • Started Friday, May 19, 2017 2:04:57 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 10:40 Wed 5/24/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by PhillyBeer2112
Originally posted by SinH4
Originally posted by PhillyBeer2112
A high rated beer should be more Led Zeppelin, not Aerosmith

which is why many of the very experienced beer lovers prefer Zwickel/Keller/Landbier over BA adjunct ImpStouts :P

Absolutely! Those extreme beers are for the ones just starting out and easily impressed by things big and brash. Experience brings appreciation for subtlety, nuance, and the wanting to come back to it again and again.

disagree there. Been at this 12+ years (10 on RB) Love me a cask ale.

But will nearly always still take a Imp Stout over almost anything...

Agreed. Been a craft beer lover since 98-99. Still love big beers and barreled beers, especially imperial stouts. I always laugh at the if your pallet was more evolved, you’d like Pilsners and Zwikels better crowd. Too each his own, but that view smacks of condescension to me. If you like lighter more subtle beer better, great. Just leave off the latter part of that where you insinuate only newbs like big beers and you’re so much more evolved now.

SinH4
beers 15466 º places 416 º 10:55 Wed 5/24/2017

Originally posted by slowrunner77
Agreed. Been a craft beer lover since 98-99. Still love big beers and barreled beers, especially imperial stouts. I always laugh at the if your pallet was more evolved, you’d like Pilsners and Zwikels better crowd. Too each his own, but that view smacks of condescension to me. If you like lighter more subtle beer better, great. Just leave off the latter part of that where you insinuate only newbs like big beers and you’re so much more evolved now.

I hope this was not how you interpreted my statement. I claimed that there is a bit of a tendency, not that it has anything to do with the qualification/ascendancy/superiority of an individual person’s palate.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 12:33 Wed 5/24/2017

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Originally posted by Leighton
Originally posted by phaleslu
Originally posted by Leighton
Jackl summed it up. Anyone who does more than 100 in a month is probably a degenerate.

Yeah, it takes a certain degree of sociopathic behavior.

You have to be willing to go to like 12 brewpubs in a row with 8 other dudes and split a single sampler while the bartender looks at you like the idiots you are.

Then go back to your fart-filled hotel room to the cases of beer you’ve all brought and buttchug while ticking each other’s brews. Maximize efficiency with both ends doing work.

Ah, the memories!

gross !

What kind of ass hats would do this for a holiday ?!?

You guys are giving me the feels

Crit
beers 5014 º places 159 º 13:24 Wed 5/24/2017

Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by DCLawyer
Serious question: how much of each beer do the judges at beer competitions consume?

Answer varies, to be certain. But as a steward in a number of competitions can say that four judges sampling from a 12 oz bottle have been known to leave something behind.

Often depends on the individual judge

CLevar
places 23 º 14:19 Wed 5/24/2017

Originally posted by Crit
Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by DCLawyer
Serious question: how much of each beer do the judges at beer competitions consume?

Answer varies, to be certain. But as a steward in a number of competitions can say that four judges sampling from a 12 oz bottle have been known to leave something behind.

Often depends on the individual judge

Correct.

I’ve seen a BoS judging panel rip through 15 or so beers in about 3 min. Judging to style is easier in a way (as has previously been mentioned), as you can easily eliminate some beers without even trying them.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 15:38 Wed 5/24/2017

A little bit yours, a little bit others ("Those extreme beers are for the ones just starting out and easily impressed by things big and brash. Experience brings appreciation for subtlety, nuance, and the wanting to come back to it again and again".), but I’ve heard similar thoughts and statements, some of which are much more of the condescending variety) long before this thread that lean towards the ’being impressed with big beers are for beginners, you truly need a trained palate to appreciate subtlety’ mind set.
No big deal, I just disagree (to an extent) with that impression/sentiment.
On the flip side, I’ve had the discussion with a couple of my beer buddies after they "could no longer enjoy" really well made regular abv (5-8%) stouts (many of which they used to love, some new) because they were spoiled, in their own words, by all the big impy, BA, coffee, etc...stouts. I think I got them to see reason, I’m not sure :)

Originally posted by SinH4
Originally posted by slowrunner77

I hope this was not how you interpreted my statement. I claimed that there is a bit of a tendency, not that it has anything to do with the qualification/ascendancy/superiority of an individual person’s palate.

SudsMcDuff
beers 8597 º places 190 º 19:52 Thu 5/25/2017

Desverger
beers 29254 º places 383 º 04:05 Fri 5/26/2017