Md House bill 1283 now in Senate

Reads 653 • Replies 7 • Started Sunday, March 26, 2017 6:24:38 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

guzzler67
beers 1696 º places 91 º 18:24 Sun 3/26/2017

Several bills have been introduced in the Md House this year to raise the limit on beer sales at breweries, mainly to appease the desire for Guinness to open their planned large tap house in Baltimore county. The one that made it from the House to the Senate has many flaws that will adversely effect our States craft brewers, as explained by the Brewers Association of Maryland.

The bill will restrict the hours of operation of breweries, will restrict brewers ability to contract brew and will withhold permits for new breweries. It should be noted that Guinness itself does not endorse these restrictions.

What I have done, and am hoping some in our community will do, is contact your state Senator and ask them to amend the bill (HB 1283) to eliminate these restrictions. Unfortunately, my senator (Ed DeGrange) has been noncommittal.

The progress we have made in recent years with beer regulation does not need to take 2 steps back now.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 22:49 Sun 3/26/2017

fuck these people. How do I contact my state senator, who the f is my state senator, I am new around here.

guzzler67
beers 1696 º places 91 º 10:00 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
fuck these people. How do I contact my state senator, who the f is my state senator, I am new around here.

You can find your senator by going to the MD.GOV website and then to Legislative Election Districts.

Since you previously posted that you live in the Harve de Grace area, you are probably in District 34 where Robert G Cassilly is the senator. Other areas of Harford County are in District 35 and Sen Wayne Norman.

Thanks for taking an interest!

guzzler67
beers 1696 º places 91 º 08:49 Sat 4/8/2017

Brewers Association of MarylandLike Page
19 hrs ·
The Brewers Association of Maryland participated in a resolution of the issues surrounding HB1283. This process of negotiations—to address the prospect of major restrictions being thrust upon the industry—has been a gut-wrenching experience for members who simply wanted to follow their entrepreneurial dream of opening a craft brewery in Maryland. We support the passage of HB1283 as amended by the Senate with the understanding that breweries will continue on their path to modernize Maryland’s beer laws in the years ahead.

guzzler67
beers 1696 º places 91 º 08:52 Sat 4/8/2017

Looks like the lobbying has been helpful and at least a temporary sigh of relief

Originally posted by guzzler67
Brewers Association of MarylandLike Page
19 hrs ·
The Brewers Association of Maryland participated in a resolution of the issues surrounding HB1283. This process of negotiations—to address the prospect of major restrictions being thrust upon the industry—has been a gut-wrenching experience for members who simply wanted to follow their entrepreneurial dream of opening a craft brewery in Maryland. We support the passage of HB1283 as amended by the Senate with the understanding that breweries will continue on their path to modernize Maryland’s beer laws in the years ahead.

argo0
beers 14125 º places 277 º 10:01 Sat 4/8/2017

guzzler67
beers 1696 º places 91 º 11:59 Sat 4/8/2017

Originally posted by argo0
For context, https://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/continuing_coverage/annapolis_2017/brewers-could-expand-sales-at-tasting-rooms-under-new-maryland/article_7b6e2433-31c8-544f-9432-1f834dc53edd.html

Sounds like the end legislation is an improvement from the House version but still flawed.

The amended bill still has to go back to the House for confirmation and hopefully that is only a formality. Yep, still flawed but at least it is not as archaic as the original bill.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 15:01 Wed 5/3/2017

I final looked over the passed bill.
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/04/10/maryland-beer-bill-passes-with-barrel-increase.html

Maryland has some restrictive beer laws. But this new bill is rather silly about the limits of how much you can sell at your brewery and then you have to buy back your distributed beer. How does this work for

I guess this is an incremental improvement.