Minnesota Beer Bracket

Reads 1988 • Replies 61 • Started Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:50:17 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheHOFF43
beers 2052 º places 169 º 09:50 Wed 3/22/2017

http://www.startribune.com/vote-in-the-ultimate-beer-bracket-sudsy-sixteen-of-minnesota-breweries/416657513/

How the field was determined:

• Readers voted for their top five breweries, giving 5 points to their top choice and 1 point to their last choice. A total of 128 breweries received votes.

• All votes were tallied and the 16 breweries with the highest vote totals made the cut.

• The breweries were seeded 1 through 16, with the 1-seed having the highest vote total and the 16-seed, the lowest among the 16.

• The seeds were arranged into bracket form, NCAA tournament-style.

The final point totals of the 16 teams that made the field:

• Surly Brewing Co., 654

• Bent Paddle Brewing Co., 532

• Indeed Brewing Co., 414

• Dangerous Man Brewing Co., 406

• Summit Brewing Co., 298

• Castle Danger Brewery, 289

• Fulton Beer, 285

• Steel Toe Brewing, 279

• Schell’s Brewery, 186

• Bad Weather Brewing Co., 156

• Fair State Brewing Cooperative, 155

• Bauhaus Brew Labs, 152

• Lift Bridge Brewing Co., 141

• Town Hall Brewery, 135

• HammerHeart Brewing Co., 130

• Copper Trail Brewing, 127

deyholla
beers 12439 º places 699 º 10:08 Wed 3/22/2017

Who is Copper Trail? I voted Surly, Bent Paddle (that was tough one), Town Hall, DM, Summit, Fair State, Fulton, and Schell’s in the first round!

TheHOFF43
beers 2052 º places 169 º 10:21 Wed 3/22/2017

Mine were the same Derek. Weird (not really)

Copper Trail is in Alexandria. Per the article I read, they received 32 first place votes to get them in (likely a bunch of friends/family)

bnielsen13
beers 265 º places 1 º 10:34 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Mine were the same Derek. Weird (not really)

Copper Trail is in Alexandria. Per the article I read, they received 32 first place votes to get them in (likely a bunch of friends/family)

Been there a couple times, not really worth visiting even if you’re in the area. Was hoping it would be a good stop when I’m up there on summer weekends, but unfortunately not.

islay
beers 3036 º places 18 º 12:27 Wed 3/22/2017

The voters made some surprisingly good picks, Copper Trail aside (in fairness, I’ve never had any Copper Trail beer). I’d have loved to have seen Sisyphus in the bracket, but I knew that it, as a barely distributing nanobrewery, didn’t stand much of a chance.

My picks:

1. Surly over 16. Copper Trail
8. Steel Toe over 9. Schell’s (Schell’s has history and variety on its side, but Steel Toe is better beer-for-beer). I think the voters, however, will go with the legend (Schell’s). In fact, I predict Schell’s benefits from its name recognition, historical importance, goodwill among non-hobbyists (as well as the CLevars of the world), and the large anti-Surly contingent to beat Surly in round 2.
12. Bauhaus over 5. Summit (on the grounds that Bauhaus lagers generally are better than Summit lagers in the same styles, but I do appreciate the greater variety at Summit). Voters go with the legend (Summit).
4. Dangerous Man over 13. Lift Bridge
15. HammerHeart over 2. Bent Paddle (an easy pick for me, as Bent Paddle doesn’t make my top 30 in the state, and I guess I’m going to have to call it the most overrated brewery in Minnesota henceforth [or until it starts making beer that lives up to the hype]). Voters go with Bent Paddle.
10. Bad Weather over 7. Fulton (worst match-up of the first round). Voters go with Fulton.
11. Fair State over 6. Castle Danger (best match-up of the first round). Voters could go either way, but I’ll say they pick Fair State.
3. Indeed over 14. Town Hall (It has pained me to acknowledge Town Hall’s fall-off in recent years. I would have ranked it #2 in the state [behind Surly] as recently as 2 years ago.). Voters go with the legend (Town Hall).

TheHOFF43
beers 2052 º places 169 º 13:31 Wed 3/22/2017

I have bent Paddle winning it all. Just a guess, far from my thoughts.

tennisjoel
beers 1493 º places 32 º 14:23 Wed 3/22/2017

I just filled one out, picking Surly, Schell’s, Summit, Dangerous Man, Hammerheart, Fulton, Fair State, Town Hall.

The Schell’s, Fulton, Summit and Town Hall picks I could have gone either way with.

TheHOFF43
beers 2052 º places 169 º 23:08 Wed 3/22/2017

There was a list of all the votes received but I can’t find it on my phone.

JK
beers 6329 º places 421 º 10:46 Thu 3/23/2017

Re Bauhaus and Summit, Bauhaus czech pils is the only beer the only lager that compares well against Summit, and in fact it might be the best pilsner brewed in Minnesota, fresh, on tap, in the tap room.

Summit Keller pils is outstanding, and their Oktoberfest is better than what Bauhaus makes. Given distribution availability of Summit and Bauhaus unwillingless to brew new beers, I would be surprised if it were even close.

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 11:04 Thu 3/23/2017

Originally posted by islay
15. HammerHeart over 2. Bent Paddle (an easy pick for me, as Bent Paddle doesn’t make my top 30 in the state, and I guess I’m going to have to call it the most overrated brewery in Minnesota henceforth [or until it starts making beer that lives up to the hype]). Voters go with Bent Paddle.

I certainly liked some of the offerings from HammerHeart, but they rarely wowed me when they were my local place. If anything, I would say HammerHeart is the one that has failed to live up the hype for me. That having been said, I don’t buy Bent Paddle often, and I have heard that their pils has declined recently.

CLevar
places 23 º 11:52 Thu 3/23/2017

Schells.