Molasses in an Imperial Stout?

Reads 1256 • Replies 4 • Started Friday, January 15, 2016 6:48:53 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sylvia40
beers 6 º 18:48 Fri 1/15/2016

Thought I’d post this on the home brew site where it belongs...

I’m considering adding 1 lb of molasses to a 5 gallon batch (22 lb grain bill). I’ve never used molasses before and was wondering if this might be a bit over the top. I like molasses flavor and licorice too, but don’t know what to expect. Hoping to wind up with something akin to a Bell’s Expedition Stout. S.G. is estimated to come in around 1.109 by my Beersmith software. Also using WLP 028 since it seemed to be a malt forward yeast strain.

Advice, anyone?

ekstedt
beers 7870 º places 348 º 02:52 Sat 1/16/2016

I think it is a good amount which will give you a gentle molasses character. I’ve used that amount of molasses sugar myself several times.

HornyDevil
06:00 Sat 1/16/2016

Originally posted by ekstedt
I think it is a good amount which will give you a gentle molasses character. I’ve used that amount of molasses sugar myself several times.

Agreed.

skinnyguy
10:37 Sat 1/16/2016

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by ekstedt

Agreed.

Agreed, 1 lb is a good amount. Depending on the rest of the fermentables and type of molasses you might taste it too strongly. With blackstrap, go lighter unless your grain bill is huge or you have other flavors to help soften it. If using lighter molasses, 1lb should be no problem.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer