Montana brewpubs battle

Reads 2034 • Replies 16 • Started Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:39:24 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jake65
beers 4400 º places 158 º 07:39 Sat 2/16/2013

This sucks. I drive through MT a lot. It would suck to lose the majority of brewpubs because they don’t bottle or can.

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/montanas-ongoing-beer-battle/

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 07:56 Sat 2/16/2013

Just a head’s up, I have no idea what is going on with that article, but I would advise anyone reading it to not click any of the links, it seems like every other paragraph is spam with clickable links about medical stuff...

budznsudz
beers 584 º places 9 º 07:59 Sat 2/16/2013

interesting

jake65
beers 4400 º places 158 º 08:00 Sat 2/16/2013

Awwwwww shoot. Works when I tried it... If you’re interested try the other link below or just google the title.

http://growlerfills.blogspot.com/2013/01/montana-tavern-association-takes-aim-at.html

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 08:19 Sat 2/16/2013

Originally posted by lithy
Just a head’s up, I have no idea what is going on with that article, but I would advise anyone reading it to not click any of the links, it seems like every other paragraph is spam with clickable links about medical stuff...

That was not the case for me at all. Perhaps you have a virus on your computer?

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 08:26 Sat 2/16/2013

Originally posted by sthlm

That was not the case for me at all. Perhaps you have a virus on your computer?

Hmm, odd, I loaded it through Chrome and have no issues, but on Firefox it shows up with 3 or 4 junk links.

Off to run some diagnostics...

Anyway, definitely a rough issue for Montana, many states face similar issues because post-Prohibition laws set up many, many oligarchical type markets for alcohol. Sure it is ’unfair’ to them strip the value out of these licenses, but was it really a fair way to set up the market to begin with?

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 13:54 Sat 2/16/2013

Hmm, odd, I loaded it through Chrome and have no issues, but on Firefox it shows up with 3 or 4 junk links.

its probably a stupid thing that firefox does. clear your add ons and it should go away.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 13:56 Sat 2/16/2013

Originally posted by jake65
This sucks. I drive through MT a lot. It would suck to lose the majority of brewpubs because they don’t bottle or can.

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/montanas-ongoing-beer-battle/

so this is free enterprise? the public has obviously spoken and the old guard wants a return to the way things used to be.

doesn’t Missoula have the highest brewery per capita ratio? I feel like a good campaign could change the laws in favor of the breweries.

douglas88
admin
beers 13195 º places 398 º 14:12 Sat 2/16/2013

Terrible how money undermines democracy. Utah is like this as well.

jake65
beers 4400 º places 158 º 15:40 Sat 2/16/2013

Originally posted by douglas88

There have been plenty of stories about how oppressive Utah is regarding alcohol. How do the taproom/brewpub laws compare? IMO, one of the most frustrating MT laws is brewpubs that don’t serve food can only be open from 4-8pm and limit customers to three pints. I am assuming there is more to it that just serving food, like requiring a minimum percentage of sales to come from food otherwise more of them would offer a simple menu just so they could expand their hours. If it were me, I’d have a Weber off the back door serving up hot dogs and hamburgers or some other nonsense just to get around the law.

douglas88
admin
beers 13195 º places 398 º 13:37 Tue 2/19/2013

Originally posted by jake65
Originally posted by douglas88

There have been plenty of stories about how oppressive Utah is regarding alcohol. How do the taproom/brewpub laws compare? IMO, one of the most frustrating MT laws is brewpubs that don’t serve food can only be open from 4-8pm and limit customers to three pints. I am assuming there is more to it that just serving food, like requiring a minimum percentage of sales to come from food otherwise more of them would offer a simple menu just so they could expand their hours. If it were me, I’d have a Weber off the back door serving up hot dogs and hamburgers or some other nonsense just to get around the law.

In this sense, Utah is more liberal. Brewpubs can serve unlimited amounts, but only 4% or below. In conjunction with food sales, bottles over 4% can be sold. Generally, the state taxes alcohol very highly and is way more intolerant than most Utah citizens, Mormon or not.