More nerdy science stuff- This time, Lacto!

Reads 2918 • Replies 34 • Started Sunday, April 17, 2016 3:11:51 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 09:50 Sat 4/23/2016

Some more data:

The Sacch used was a lager yeast taken from a FV in the middle of fermentation. I purposely underpitched, aiming for ~0.5 million cells/ml/deg P, and that didn’t seem to hurt the fermentation much at all and gave the Lacto a easy time.

Interestingly, it seems like the addition of Sacch has ameliorated some of the dose response of the acidification to the IBU level seen with the pure culture. I’ll be wanting to repeat this again to make sure I’ve not buggered anything up. It’s also possible that the dose response came in the hours between 0 and 50: I only made up 500ml of each culture, and didn’t want to be taking too many samples. But I think next time I’ll make up a liter or two of the 30 IBU and test that more regularly.

Homer321
beers 5359 º places 54 º 09:52 Sat 4/23/2016

This is way over my head and very cool that you share this info!

GarethYoung
beers 1111 º places 27 º 14:49 Sat 4/23/2016

Originally posted by CLevar
Some more data:

The Sacch used was a lager yeast taken from a FV in the middle of fermentation. I purposely underpitched, aiming for ~0.5 million cells/ml/deg P, and that didn’t seem to hurt the fermentation much at all and gave the Lacto a easy time.

Interestingly, it seems like the addition of Sacch has ameliorated some of the dose response of the acidification to the IBU level seen with the pure culture. I’ll be wanting to repeat this again to make sure I’ve not buggered anything up. It’s also possible that the dose response came in the hours between 0 and 50: I only made up 500ml of each culture, and didn’t want to be taking too many samples. But I think next time I’ll make up a liter or two of the 30 IBU and test that more regularly.

Thanks for the update, Caleb, this is interesting. It looks like this strain is a keeper. Do you have any impressions about how proteolytic the strain is from the foam/mouthfeel?

CLevar
places 23 º 15:14 Sat 4/23/2016

Originally posted by GarethYoung
Some more data:

Thanks for the update, Caleb, this is interesting. It looks like this strain is a keeper. Do you have any impressions about how proteolytic the strain is from the foam/mouthfeel?

We’ve used it in a ton of different kettle sours. I’ve not noticed any substantial head retention loss, but I haven’t tested it it any meaningful way

GarethYoung
beers 1111 º places 27 º 16:12 Sat 4/23/2016

We’ve used it in a ton of different kettle sours. I’ve not noticed any substantial head retention loss, but I haven’t tested it it any meaningful way

Cool beans. Do you have the means to test protein levels? Proteolysis is the aspect of lacto fermentation I’m most interested in right now, but there’s basically nothing article-wise about it in the context of brewing. A few articles about milk-related stuff and that’s about it.

CLevar
places 23 º 16:48 Sat 4/23/2016

I’m not sure the best way to test. Perhaps make casein plates and spot culture? Clearing would indicate proteolytic activity, but I’m not sure at what level it’s relevant to beer.

GarethYoung
beers 1111 º places 27 º 18:03 Sat 4/23/2016

I’m not sure the best way to test. Perhaps make casein plates and spot culture? Clearing would indicate proteolytic activity, but I’m not sure at what level it’s relevant to beer.

Yeah, I’m not sure either, to be honest. Some level of proteolysis is inevitable. Maybe just as you suggest but comparatively with some other, more studied strains. There are other complicating factors too though e.g. certain strains of delbruekii are less proteolytic but prefer higher temperatures (at which whatever enzymes are there will be more active) than other, more proteolytic strains, like the common plantarum strains.

michcam8
beers 592 º places 34 º 18:40 Sat 4/23/2016

Admins, can you please move this to OTL?

CLevar
places 23 º 22:12 Sat 4/23/2016

Originally posted by michcam8
Admins, can you please move this to OTL?

WS;SP

CLevar
places 23 º 18:33 Wed 4/27/2016

Just had the kettle drop from 4.7 to 3.3 in 5 hours and 15 minutes. Not bad, Lacto

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer