Most Difficult Countries to Drink

Reads 6426 • Replies 105 • Started Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:17:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Travlr
beers 33864 º places 4577 º 08:05 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by phaleslu
This is a fun new feature. Wales is the easiest I’ve missed out on (wasn’t there some stout brewed there that moved production? I had Wales at one time), and Turks & Caicos is the hardest I’ve had, at #52.
Wow, Wales is a country? Do the Welsh know that?

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 08:07 Mon 6/24/2013

You have rated 185 of 209 countries. You have 24 countries left.
This puts you at #2 on Ratebeer.
The most difficult country you have rated is São Tomé & Principe.
The easiest country you have not rated is Wales.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 08:18 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by Lowenbrau
Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
And for the Phillipines the San Miguel beers; though I do think some of those are made in Spain too?

These are two different brewers: first one was San Miguel from Phillipines, founded by spaniards while the islands where ruled by Spain. Then San Miguel Spain started in mid 20th century in Spain, but has nothing to do with the first one but the name.

Indeed. Any idea why they use very similar branding / labelling / lettering? Is there some sort of agreement between the two companies? San Miguel is pretty common here in the UK but I was under the impression it’s all the Spanish stuff, or even a version brewed by Carlsberg here in the UK. However, plenty of UK raters seem to have a Phillipines rate from San Miguel. I suspect a lot (if not all) of those ratings are misplaced. Probably becuase it’s not too clear where to put ratings for for the one available in the UK, which is simply labelled as San Miguel Cerveza and is 5.0%.
http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/san-miguel

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 08:24 Mon 6/24/2013

Wasn’t Murphy’s Irish Stout the one that was brewed in Wales and is now listed under Ireland? I think that’s what happened to my Wales rating. Now I need to find some rar Wales.

JMerritt
places 72 º 08:34 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by Travlr
This is a fun new feature. Wales is the easiest I’ve missed out on (wasn’t there some stout brewed there that moved production? I had Wales at one time), and Turks & Caicos is the hardest I’ve had, at #52.

It is according to Wikipedia, at least. I learned something new today!

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 08:35 Mon 6/24/2013

Wasn’t Murphy’s Irish Stout the one that was brewed in Wales and is now listed under Ireland? I think that’s what happened to my Wales rating. Now I need to find some rar Wales.

Yes that’s the one. It was (and is?) brewed at Magor in Wales and listed on RB there, presumably on the (mis)understanding that it was no longer brewed at its home base in Ireland. That transpired not to be the case so it got moved back home.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 09:06 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by JMerritt

I learnt something new today as well. I never knew the USA was an independent country. I always thought it was a Canadian Colony. Wonders never cease.

Travlr
beers 33864 º places 4577 º 09:21 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by JMerritt

Yes! Wikipedia is much more authoritative than then U.N., at least.

jake65
beers 4400 º places 158 º 09:41 Mon 6/24/2013

You have rated 44 of 209 countries. You have 165 countries left.
This puts you at #635 on Ratebeer.
The most difficult country you have rated is Dominica.
The easiest country you have not rated is Spain.

Fun to have a fresh perspective, thanks!!!

visionthing
beers 7936 º places 785 º 11:18 Mon 6/24/2013

You have rated 98 of 209 countries. You have 111 countries left.
This puts you at #51 on Ratebeer.
The most difficult country you have rated is Azerbaijan.
The easiest country you have not rated is Kenya.

Really annoying to see that list now as I’m going to Georgia tomorrow and have no plans to visit either South Ossetia or Abkhazia and I don’t think I will find them in Tbilisi. So close, but...