Moving to the area end of summer

Reads 933 • Replies 13 • Started Tuesday, March 29, 2016 12:47:52 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 12:47 Tue 3/29/2016

Hey everyone,

My wife and I will be moving outside of Pittsburgh to Indiana, PA, probably in early August. I hear there’s not a lot there outside of the university and imagine we’ll be doing plenty of beer outings in Pittsburgh. Two brand new breweries this year for Indiana, so there’s that at least.

I just wanted to reach out and introduce myself. I hope to hang out with some of you soon. We’ll probably be up in June to look at houses, and I’ll definitely come to RBSG if you win the vote!

Cheers,
Anthony

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 13:12 Tue 3/29/2016

Welcome to the area, I’ll admit that I don’t know much about Indiana, PA. I’m sure some of the other locals will have more input. I have been intending to make it out to the new breweries soon. They host an annual Oktoberfest that the brewery I work at participates in. There is also a distillery opening/open? Disobedient Spirits.

Past that, I still get confused when people say Indiana with no qualifier and I always default to Indiana, the state. But I’m a recent-ish transplant.

HornyDevil
13:13 Tue 3/29/2016

Definitely give the board a holler once you’re settled. Would be pretty cool to meet you (and your wife) out for beers. Keep your eye out for the quarterly tastings that we do. Always in search for people to participate in those. Welcome to Pittsburgh, man.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 14:52 Tue 3/29/2016

Originally posted by lithy
Welcome to the area, I’ll admit that I don’t know much about Indiana, PA. I’m sure some of the other locals will have more input. I have been intending to make it out to the new breweries soon. They host an annual Oktoberfest that the brewery I work at participates in. There is also a distillery opening/open? Disobedient Spirits.

Past that, I still get confused when people say Indiana with no qualifier and I always default to Indiana, the state. But I’m a recent-ish transplant.

I’ve confused everyone when saying where I’m headed. Some have thought I’m commuting between Indiana and Pennsylvania. I think Disobedient Spirits is already open, as is Levity Brewing. Noble Stein should be open soon in Indiana (PA) as well. Hopefully this is a sign of some growth in the area and not just a blip.

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Definitely give the board a holler once you’re settled. Would be pretty cool to meet you (and your wife) out for beers. Keep your eye out for the quarterly tastings that we do. Always in search for people to participate in those. Welcome to Pittsburgh, man.

Nice! I’m glad to hear about the periodic tastings. The tasting crew in my part of North Carolina died off about two years ago.

If anyone wants some NC brewery offerings not available up there, I’ll try to accumulate some things before the move.

douglas88
admin
beers 13195 º places 398 º 15:37 Tue 3/29/2016

Indiana is a nice town. And IUP will be a great place to work (I’m assuming you’re going to work there).

User52877
places 3 º 17:07 Tue 3/29/2016

Welcome to the area.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 17:57 Tue 3/29/2016

Originally posted by douglas88
Indiana is a nice town. And IUP will be a great place to work (I’m assuming you’re going to work there).

Yep: my wife and I will be faculty there. Everyone there has been incredible so far.

Nate
beers 4279 º places 330 º 15:59 Wed 3/30/2016

Originally posted by italarican
Hey everyone,

My wife and I will be moving outside of Pittsburgh to Indiana, PA, probably in early August. I hear there’s not a lot there outside of the university and imagine we’ll be doing plenty of beer outings in Pittsburgh. Two brand new breweries this year for Indiana, so there’s that at least.

I just wanted to reach out and introduce myself. I hope to hang out with some of you soon. We’ll probably be up in June to look at houses, and I’ll definitely come to RBSG if you win the vote!

Cheers,
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I live in Indiana and work at IUP, so welcome to you and your wife! There’s definitely a better beer climate here than when I came in 2005. Some good beer bars, Levity Brewing has been open for over a month, and Noble Stein should hopefully be open in late May/early June (waiting on their license). Disobedient Spirits (owned by two IUP faculty) has been open over a year. We have an active homebrew club, which I helped start in 2007, and we meet the 2nd Tue of every month (next month at Levity). I’m also one of the organizers of Oktoberfest, now in its 5th year, which will be Sat Sep 24.

Feel free to message me here or at nate@iup.edu with questions about the area, housing, etc. I look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,
Nate

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 21:07 Wed 3/30/2016

Originally posted by Nate
Originally posted by italarican
Hey everyone,

Cheers,
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I live in Indiana and work at IUP, so welcome to you and your wife! There’s definitely a better beer climate here than when I came in 2005. Some good beer bars, Levity Brewing has been open for over a month, and Noble Stein should hopefully be open in late May/early June (waiting on their license). Disobedient Spirits (owned by two IUP faculty) has been open over a year. We have an active homebrew club, which I helped start in 2007, and we meet the 2nd Tue of every month (next month at Levity). I’m also one of the organizers of Oktoberfest, now in its 5th year, which will be Sat Sep 24.

Feel free to message me here or at nate@iup.edu with questions about the area, housing, etc. I look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,
Nate

Great all around! BM sent.

ne14sours
beers 13 º places 1 º 17:13 Wed 4/27/2016

Hey everyone,
I’m italarican’s wife. Look forward to meeting you all!
Take care,
Jenny

Nate
beers 4279 º places 330 º 07:08 Thu 4/28/2016

Originally posted by ne14sours
Hey everyone,
I’m italarican’s wife. Look forward to meeting you all!
Take care,
Jenny

Welcome to the area and the Pittsburgh forum - look forward to meeting you guys.