My First Place Rating in (Nearly) Two Years.

Reads 877 • Replies 13 • Started Friday, March 17, 2017 11:51:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 11:51 Fri 3/17/2017

I just reviewed my first place rating in nearly two years. For some reason, I find this to be baffling as I thought it had been a shorter gap of time. What are your stats on the gap between your last place rating and the one you most recently submitted? How often do you review beer-related places on here?

The thing is, I’ll subconsciously make notes as to how a beer bar/brewery/bottle shop makes me feel, how it impacts me and makes my experience in any way different. I think we all do, in some way or another. But I often won’t do this to the beer itself: I find that beer is increasingly more difficult to "mental note", as so many beers unapologetically taste like others in the same style. That’s probably why this website exists. More often than not, a beer will do nothing for me and I’ll completely forget to write anything down pertaining to experiencing its profile and flavor. I may just write, "kinda meh and expensive. please don’t ever order again or review. WHY." in a pocketed notepad I’ll keep with m whenever I go out. It will be a waste of time to do so, to review such dreary uninventiveness and honestly believe that I’ll be making a difference. But keeping place ratings under wraps and in the same elusive detestation, at least to me, never truly makes it unique or understandable. People can understand why a particular beer is boring, lifeless, and altogether bad, but simply writing places off with the same mindset hasn’t worked in reaching people to help them comprehend the disinterest and monotony of that specific place. Reviewing places can be massively important to the community. I haven’t actually gone to a place, sat down, and written a thoughtful review in a while. Places seem to deserve our attention, while many beers out in the world just seem to squander my time with their irritating flashiness and stupid-high alcohol content. I’m genuinely thankful that people review places and trust random Ratebeerians with their direct, sometimes unflattering words. A lot can happen at a bar/brewery.bottle shop: perhaps the owner of any of those establishments gifts you an ultra-rare DIPA because you helped paint the building three summers back, or you met your current spouse playing Trivia in that very same building. The memories are endless. Same with most beer - but with most beer that people review, they’re reviewing the actual beer, the fermented alcoholic grain-water in the bottle, and not the experience itself. That’s why I think places are and forever will be drastically different from the beers they decide to tap on any given day. It takes a considerable amount of effort to write a really good place review - even if it’s short in its length, you still have a lot to work with.

Jow
beers 7338 º places 487 º 12:01 Fri 3/17/2017

I rated at least one place a month for all of 2016 thru 2017. there were 2 months i missed in 2015.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 12:03 Fri 3/17/2017

Originally posted by Jow
I rated at least one place a month for all of 2016 thru 2017. there were 2 months i missed in 2015.
SAVAGE!

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 12:04 Fri 3/17/2017

Originally posted by radarsock
Originally posted by Jow
SAVAGE!

I mean, not really - but that’s more often than I’ve been known to submit.

Just goes to show ya - beer rating can and usually is easier.

Jow
beers 7338 º places 487 º 12:18 Fri 3/17/2017

Originally posted by Jow
SAVAGE!

I had no idea I had this streak going until you posted this thread. I am certainly not a major place ticker but I just travel enough, and chase certain beers around town enough that his happened naturally.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10532 º places 353 º 12:41 Fri 3/17/2017

As you can see my place ratings are up to 353.

My most recent place rating is Oct 2014 . . . and that place has since closed.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 12:48 Fri 3/17/2017

Originally posted by Jow
Originally posted by Jow
SAVAGE!

I had no idea I had this streak going until you posted this thread. I am certainly not a major place ticker but I just travel enough, and chase certain beers around town enough that his happened naturally.
Ha. Well I’m glad to have forcibly made you look into that.

I like looking into stuff I otherwise had completely forgotten about. It’s like discovering a whole new world, one that I always knew was lurking just underneath the superficial glow of reality’s surface-area windows. I knew they could be smashed.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 12:54 Fri 3/17/2017

This is ratebeer not rateplacestobuybeer so I don’t concern myself with it too much

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 13:00 Fri 3/17/2017

Originally posted by MacBoost
This is ratebeer not rateplacestobuybeer so I don’t concern myself with it too much
You’re MacBoost so I don’t really concern myself with your comments... so...

ben4321
beers 11312 º places 628 º 17:21 Fri 3/17/2017

Interesting to look at, apparently the last month I didn’t enter a place rating was March 2015.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 17:37 Fri 3/17/2017

Good place ratings are so helpful, especially if you’re only in a city for a short time. Yeah, taplists are the single biggest determining factor in deciding where you’ll visit, but more info is usually better than less.

It’s easy to come back with a bunch of new place ratings after a trip, but it’s tougher to remember to keep inputting them for your local area. I’ll go 6 months without any, then often have a flurry of multiple new ones when I realize it’s been a while.