New IL Brewery Updates Thread

Reads 8762 • Replies 74 • Started Friday, December 16, 2011 8:04:58 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DrnkMcDermott
beers 4231 º places 102 º 18:51 Mon 5/28/2012

I added Baderbrau Brewing Co. as a new Chicago client brewer, with its beers being made by Argus. Info is from the business card of principal Robert Sama, whom I talked to at the Stocks & Blondes opening last Friday, and hope to get a write-up for soon. Also added "Baderbrau Chicago Pilsener" as a Bohemian Pilsener. Sama said they managed to located Baderbrau’s original yeast, which had been banked at a university in Canada.

DrnkMcDermott
beers 4231 º places 102 º 22:09 Tue 5/29/2012

This list is already too long to scan through, so has someone already encounterd Atlas Brewering Co.? So far, a Twitter Page ( https://twitter.com/#!/AtlasBrewing) with the description "A new Chicago brewpub, opening this summer, with a bowling alley next door. 2747 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago."

Let me put it this way. Besides me, what homebrewers in this town are NOT opening a brewery? And how did tight-assed Chicago/Cook County loosen up on brewing so suddenly?

17thfloor
beers 2444 º places 19 º 05:53 Wed 5/30/2012

^cook county/chicago doesn’t regulate breweries... there’s no ’brewers business license’

it’s a number of factors, but cook county/chicago is very difficult and expensive to work with for anyone opening a business in general. we had one deal almost fall apart because the underwriter, not used to doing a deal in cook county, thought all the red tape was ridiculous and had never seen anything like it.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:07 Wed 5/30/2012

Originally posted by 17thfloor
^cook county/chicago doesn’t regulate breweries... there’s no ’brewers business license’

it’s a number of factors, but cook county/chicago is very difficult and expensive to work with for anyone opening a business in general. we had one deal almost fall apart because the underwriter, not used to doing a deal in cook county, thought all the red tape was ridiculous and had never seen anything like it.

Furthermore, with so many places listed as "Coming Soon", it really seems like a lot of the people who have jumped into the water over the last year or two seem to have a leg up.

I’m all for increasing craft market share.. but can all of these new breweries listed as "Coming Soon" survive in the market? My bet is no..

Tooch4321
beers 11 º 06:33 Wed 5/30/2012

That really blows, but that’s what happens when you set-up shop in Crook County. I can’t wait for you to open your doors, so I can just cut across the alley and pick-up some goodness. Thanks for making my block smell awesome when you guys are brewing, it beats the hell outta the exhaust from Western Ave...

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:08 Wed 5/30/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum

Furthermore, with so many places listed as "Coming Soon", it really seems like a lot of the people who have jumped into the water over the last year or two seem to have a leg up.

I’m all for increasing craft market share.. but can all of these new breweries listed as "Coming Soon" survive in the market? My bet is no..

It’s going to be tricky. I think we need a few more midsize breweries (think of Metro, Half Acre when they opened, Finch’s etc.) as they will have the best chance of hanging around. I know of a few so far that are opening, New Chicago, Broad Shoulders & Panic. Obviously each neighborhood could handle a small brewery or brewpub, it’s just a matter of what the goals of the breweries are, as well as the products that they are going to put out.

beergurujr
beers 2 º 07:39 Wed 5/30/2012

We have a bunch just opened or opening in the ’burbs as well, most of them strictly keg-only (some not all will be brew pubs). Mostly nanos. In fact, TWO are planned- a block apart from each other- way out in Oswego. Not sure how that’s going to work out. Also just heard of one opening in Itasca- a brewpub. No details.

17thfloor
beers 2444 º places 19 º 08:10 Wed 5/30/2012

^what are the two in oswego? One in a firehouse right?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 12:11 Mon 6/4/2012

Belgian-centric Une Année Brewery set to open next year.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:58 Tue 6/26/2012

Clamp and Gasket has started their Kickstarter effort..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1719619463/the-clamp-and-gasket-0?ref=recently_launched

I love Bryan.. a great friend.. but that is a very ambitious timespan to fill that goal.