New Japan #1 at Last!

Reads 1963 • Replies 30 • Started Monday, June 20, 2016 8:02:56 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 10:09 Thu 6/23/2016

Have to say, I quite like the brew lab. It’s open during the day and I like to pop in for one and sit next to the river.

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8474 º places 567 º 11:18 Thu 6/23/2016

I like meat and the brew lab. I think it’s a cool place to chill out, hit Akiba in the afternoon then walk to Hitachino and on to Wiz. It’s a nice afternoon out.

KyotoLefty
beers 15089 º places 1059 º 23:57 Thu 6/23/2016

I think I have only once had the Espresso on tap, at a takeover event at Tadg’s. Maybe one other time.
Saw it at Toronado in San Diego. They had Alpine for half the price so I stuck with that.

But I do like it too. One of the top stouts in Japan, but def. not the best beer made here.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 06:17 Fri 6/24/2016

Originally posted by KyotoLefty
I think I have only once had the Espresso on tap, at a takeover event at Tadg’s. Maybe one other time.
Saw it at Toronado in San Diego. They had Alpine for half the price so I stuck with that.

But I do like it too. One of the top stouts in Japan, but def. not the best beer made here.

Spot on. Sadly the impression that people get is this is what people in Japan love. Just drinking this awesome beer all the time everywhere. It kinda reminds me of Fosters, in that no one in Oz drinks its. Though to be honest this wasn’t that uncommon 5-10 years ago in Europe, ie. Traquair , Nogne, no one drank in the local market. There will always be this situation until more good breweries export.

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 08:37 Fri 6/24/2016

Originally posted by KyotoLefty

The only Craft Japanese I’ve seen on tap in California ever are Coedo Ruri and Hitachino White. They usually run from 6-7 USD per 500ml. not too bad.

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 11:08 Fri 6/24/2016

Well, the second is fair enough, but why the first even makes it out of Saitama is a mystery to me. Guess the lure of Japan can paper over a lot of aroma/appearance/taste/palate/overall cracks

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 17:41 Fri 6/24/2016

Originally posted by shoulderbroken
Well, the second is fair enough, but why the first even makes it out of Saitama is a mystery to me. Guess the lure of Japan can paper over a lot of aroma/appearance/taste/palate/overall cracks

They are distributed by Stone and the fancy tap handle. Damn, I just noticed the rate beer reviews for it. :/

KyotoLefty
beers 15089 º places 1059 º 20:01 Fri 6/24/2016

Had 500ml or Coedo Shiro on Thursday, ¥1200. Ouch.
It is a darn good weizen, though. Much better than the pils.

yuichituba
beers 1 º 01:45 Sat 6/25/2016

I may be the only one, but I’m actually surprised Hitachino’s Espresso Stout was #1 and still is #2.
Last time I had that beer, it tasted like office coffee.

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 06:52 Sat 6/25/2016

I’m actually not a fan of the espresso stout either. I remember liking it quite a bit when I first came to Japan, but the bottle I had last time, just was really underwhelming and overly roasty and bitter.