Next ’Spoons fest...

Reads 2323 • Replies 36 • Started Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:37:03 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 02:28 Wed 3/22/2017

Not around this Saturday, so I won’t be able to get out to London Spoons until week after and I can’t remember if I have something then as well. May have to do midweek local Spoons this festival.

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 02:29 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by Gary
@ Rich , how many Resin should I buy tonight ? You decide bro.

£36 worth

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 02:34 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by RichTheVillan
Originally posted by Gary
@ Rich , how many Resin should I buy tonight ? You decide bro.

£36 worth
a typical Saturday night then

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 03:06 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by hopbomber
Originally posted by Erlangernick
I would trade half of Franconia’s 200+ lager breweries for just one single good Spoons, like the Waterhouse or Paramount in Mncr, the cinema one in Colwyn Bay, the Cross Keys in London, or even the one in East Didsbury.

The one in Margate, not so much. Only a fourth of the breweries for that one then.

And the one in East Didsbury....meh. Maybe only a third for that one.

You’ll be pleased to know didsbury spoons has closed down and turned into a gin bar

Spoons closing down ? It’s almost unheard of unless you’re in manchester.

Had two in my local town of Walsall within 50 yards of each other. It was great for festival ticks. Now we only have one after the closed the rougher one down.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:33 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by Erlangernick
I would trade half of Franconia’s 200+ lager breweries for just one single good Spoons, like the Waterhouse or Paramount in Mncr, the cinema one in Colwyn Bay, the Cross Keys in London, or even the one in East Didsbury.

The one in Margate, not so much. Only a fourth of the breweries for that one then.

And the one in East Didsbury....meh. Maybe only a third for that one.

You’ll be pleased to know didsbury spoons has closed down and turned into a gin bar

Wait. What? The Gateway, in the middle of the busy intersection? East Didsbury? Near the Barlow Croft, the kiddie paradise with an excellent pint of GK IPA? No way.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 07:28 Wed 3/22/2017

Spoons have actually disposed of 80+ pubs over the last couple of years. I was recently entering some place review backlog from a trip to Hull in December 2015, which included four Wetherspoons (we’re not Spoons freaks, we just visited every place listed on RateBeer, and then some) but two of them have since been sold off, so I did a bit of research. The Brewhouse & Kitchen in Bedford that I recently visited used to be one of two Spoons in town. Seems quite a lot have been sold to another pub group operator - Stonegate, which has the Yates’s and Slug & Lettuce brands amongst others and now has over 600 pubs..

I’d assume Wetherspoons reviews the profitability of each location and ditch those that aren’t doing so well. There may well be effects of self-competition when they have more than one outlet in fairly close proximity. And they may have better things to do with the cash - for instance opening branches in towns that are un-Spooned, which I’d guess would perform better. Ironically, a few that have closed have been the very early ones located in the suburban outer fringes of London that were previously poorly-pubbed and filling those gaps was one of their original winning strategies.

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 07:40 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by chriso

I’d assume Wetherspoons reviews the profitability of each location and ditch those that aren’t doing so well. There may well be effects of self-competition when they have more than one outlet in fairly close proximity. And they may have better things to do with the cash - for instance opening branches in towns that are un-Spooned, which I’d guess would perform better. Ironically, a few that have closed have been the very early ones located in the suburban outer fringes of London that were previously poorly-pubbed and filling those gaps was one of their original winning strategies.

Yeah, they’ve two in Hammersmith & one’s on the market - the Plough & Harrow, it’s been "to let" for several months now, Sadly, it’s the one of the two with the wider & usually more interesting range of ale. And I fear the uncertainty has affected staffing - it always seems under-personed at the bar.

But it’s still open for now and will probably have several festival beers on already - so it’s time for a lunch break, I reckon!!

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 07:43 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by BeerViking

Yeah, they’ve two in Hammersmith & one’s on the market - the Plough & Harrow, it’s been "to let" for several months now, Sadly, it’s the one of the two with the wider & usually more interesting range of ale. And I fear the uncertainty has affected staffing - it always seems under-personed at the bar.

But it’s still open for now and will probably have several festival beers on already - so it’s time for a lunch break, I reckon!!

The staff at the Walsall one that closed only found out a week before it closed around the same time the local press announced it was closing. They relocated them to others nearby.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 07:49 Wed 3/22/2017

Sadly, it’s the one of the two with the wider & usually more interesting range of ale.

Unfortunately I suspect this will often be the case. I’d imagine, where they have a "regular" Spoons and a Lloyds No.1, the latter will often be more profitable on the back of heavy circuit drinking custom at the weekend compared to the steadier "old man" custom through the week of the traditional Spoons. A shame because the Lloyds concept is somewhat at odds with the original Wetherspoons ethos.

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 08:44 Wed 3/22/2017

Sadly, it’s the one of the two with the wider & usually more interesting range of ale.

Unfortunately I suspect this will often be the case. I’d imagine, where they have a "regular" Spoons and a Lloyds No.1, the latter will often be more profitable on the back of heavy circuit drinking custom at the weekend compared to the steadier "old man" custom through the week of the traditional Spoons. A shame because the Lloyds concept is somewhat at odds with the original Wetherspoons ethos.

I thought all the Lloyds had been folded back into the main brand now? Although yes, the Morris is the ex-Lloyds of the two, and is less reliant on the old bloke market than the Pluff & Huff.

Anyhow, I seem to have jinxed myself on the latter - several rather nice ales on, but not a single festival beer yet. So I’m in the Morris instead, where there’s Bagby Back Garden, Black Sheep Pathmaker (4), Hilden Pale Oat and Titanic Cappuccino on, plus Windsor & Eton have a new batch of Red Rye out.