No More Mr. G’s

Reads 2985 • Replies 41 • Started Friday, February 17, 2012 9:21:01 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 06:51 Wed 3/21/2012

Originally posted by jhamp9
Was in there the 14th and the clerk said they were changing over on the 15th. He said Sou’wester also had a deli side and thought that would change also. I’ve wondered about the Ticket ads and birthdays on Why today doesn’t suck also.

I figure that the contract for the ads with The Ticket was signed well before the deal with Spec’s was made, so the money has been paid and they will just let the contract run out.

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 18:28 Thu 3/22/2012

Originally posted by legion242
Originally posted by jhamp9
Was in there the 14th and the clerk said they were changing over on the 15th. He said Sou’wester also had a deli side and thought that would change also. I’ve wondered about the Ticket ads and birthdays on Why today doesn’t suck also.

I figure that the contract for the ads with The Ticket was signed well before the deal with Spec’s was made, so the money has been paid and they will just let the contract run out.

I think the ads are now only referring to the deli and not "beverage center" anymore, also, so that would follow that Spec’s intends on keeping "Mr. G’s Deli".

Mora2000
beers 6156 º places 101 º 20:52 Mon 3/26/2012

I ate lunch there on the 23rd and the deli is still operating like it was pre-takeover with the same prices and same menu. I’m fine with Specs taking over, as long as they leave the deli alone.

wordlessmind
14:11 Mon 4/2/2012

Originally posted by thirdeye11
Originally posted by Swalden28
Originally posted by thirdeye11
Originally posted by mar
Kegs and barrels, lonestar, and s&k all have mix six doors. We don’t mind breaking things down as long as we have room in the door.

That’s certainly a noble thing to do, but the one appealing thing about Mr. G’s is that we could break any 6-pack, anytime and not feel bad about doing it. At Lonestar, K&B, etc if I want to break down 1 6-pack to try 1 beer, it’s no big deal, but if I want to break 6 different 6-packs then you guys have to have 5 open spots in your mixed door. If I do this once a week, every time I come in, you’re probably not going to have room to accommodate me.

It’s a shame to see a great store getting bought out, as I’ve always loved Mr. G’s. Hope the deli quality stays up to snuff. One of the best in town.

-Chad

Im always breaking down 6 pk’s at the 15th street location. I have never told someone "Thats too many".....but that’s me though..Now, I won’t let people break down mainstream beers like Hein. or Stella but we have like 24 oz’s of those, not that you would be going after them, lol...

That’s cool, I guess I just felt bad before because I didn’t realize you all did that. Rick’s done it for me before, but I know it’s tough on inventory also unless you’re already equipped for it.

Come on over to Whole Foods Plano, we have such a huge mix and match singles set its not an issue for us!

mattisloco
05:52 Tue 4/3/2012

The Deli is staying and the Mr G’s name will somehow be incoroprated with the Spec’s store name. "Mr. G’s Spec’s" was one idea that was tossed around but that is not 100% set in stone.

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 07:21 Tue 4/3/2012

My sources tell me that things are very weird around there right now. All new staff in the deli and the wine buyer has no idea what his future holds. Some days there a dozen Spec’s people hanging around and other days none. Sounds to me like they bought it and now don’t know what to do- very un-Spec’s like!

Mora2000
beers 6156 º places 101 º 20:07 Fri 4/6/2012

I can confirm the information about the deli. A person working the register said the entire deli staff quit on the same day right after the sale took place, so the deli now closes at 3 p.m. instead of 7 p.m., at least for the time being.

With the new staff, it will take a while before things are running smoothly. I was one of three people eating at the deli on Thursday and it took them about 20 minutes to make my sandwich. It was still delicious, but I could hear them behind the counter arguing about what went on each sandwich, whether they were toasted, where different items were stored, etc...

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 08:20 Sat 4/7/2012

Originally posted by Mora2000
I can confirm the information about the deli. A person working the register said the entire deli staff quit on the same day right after the sale took place, so the deli now closes at 3 p.m. instead of 7 p.m., at least for the time being.

With the new staff, it will take a while before things are running smoothly. I was one of three people eating at the deli on Thursday and it took them about 20 minutes to make my sandwich. It was still delicious, but I could hear them behind the counter arguing about what went on each sandwich, whether they were toasted, where different items were stored, etc...

Wow. Just, wow.

The Ticket plugs have stopped now also.

thirdeye11
beers 6162 º places 34 º 19:30 Mon 4/9/2012

This is what happens when small business is taken over by a large business. The quality suffers, and there is nothing that you, me, or anyone else can do to change that. I wish I’d gone to the deli before all the old employees quit. I fear now that I’m just supporting the machine. Mr. G’s had one of the very best delis ever, and now it may never be the same.

I suppose I should go try it though, just for old times sake.

Mora2000
beers 6156 º places 101 º 20:15 Mon 4/9/2012

I have eaten there twice since the sale and the quality has not dropped yet, but typically large companies look for ways to cut corners so it would not be a shock if the quality of the ingredients begins to dip. If you’re going to eat there, I would do it sooner rather than later.