Non-US ?

Reads 5240 • Replies 39 • Started Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:28:23 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 18:37 Wed 8/29/2012

yeah, not sure of this, non US, maybe "them"

Martinus
beers 5018 º places 224 º 02:00 Thu 8/30/2012

Originally posted by fiulijn
Originally posted by Martinus
Don’t really like the term either.

Is there a way of seeing what actually are the percentages of US/non-US users on rb?

I can’t find it now, but we used to have that page somewhere
Years ago it was maybe 80-90% from US (and I may be wrong).
Although it makes sense not to count only users, but active participation (forum posts, beer ratings, place ratings, beer and place insertions etc...)

80-90% from US? Really?

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 04:38 Thu 8/30/2012

Is there a way of seeing what actually are the percentages of US/non-US users on rb?

Although it makes sense not to count only users, but active participation (forum posts, beer ratings, place ratings, beer and place insertions etc...)

80-90% from US? Really?

I can’t recall exactly
But there was a list of country with number of users, and non-rest-of-the-world was up there with at least one digit more than the runner up (that is not enough detail; but somehow that 80-90% got calculated and fixed in my memory for some reason)

cgarvieuk
beers 37557 º places 457 º 05:07 Thu 8/30/2012

80-90% from US? Really?

I can’t recall exactly
But there was a list of country with number of users, and non-rest-of-the-world was up there with at least one digit more than the runner up (that is not enough detail; but somehow that 80-90% got calculated and fixed in my memory for some reason)

yeah 80-90 rings true with me. I think there more ACTIVE memeber from NON us that the 10-20% but from total membership that could well be true

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 05:37 Thu 8/30/2012

I never use Alexa and I don’t know how correct it is, but this is the current info about Ratebeer audience by country:

Notice that the total is ~85%, not 100%
And also that countries like Finland and Denmark don’t appear, while Sweden is there; I expect RB to be quite strong in Denmark (without being offensive, nobody ever mentions BA on this side of the pond), so it should have a percentage proportional to the Swedish one (not same number of inhabitants).
In other words, either Denmark for some reason doesn’t identify itself, or the numbers are not accurate.

But still it gives you an idea of the split across the globe when it comes to Ratebeer.

Martinus
beers 5018 º places 224 º 06:57 Thu 8/30/2012

I never use Alexa and I don’t know how correct it is, but this is the current info about Ratebeer audience by country:

Notice that the total is ~85%, not 100%
And also that countries like Finland and Denmark don’t appear, while Sweden is there; I expect RB to be quite strong in Denmark (without being offensive, nobody ever mentions BA on this side of the pond), so it should have a percentage proportional to the Swedish one (not same number of inhabitants).
In other words, either Denmark for some reason doesn’t identify itself, or the numbers are not accurate.

But still it gives you an idea of the split across the globe when it comes to Ratebeer.

Thanks. At least it provides a clearer view. I’m actually quite curious, also because some discussions and discussion topics are very USA dominated.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:52 Thu 8/30/2012

80-90% from US? Really?

Did you think it was more from the US? I’d guess closer to 90-95% of all users are from the US, based mostly on our consumer culture. I’d also guess that perhaps an even higher percentage of visits (non-member + member) from the US.

Martinus
beers 5018 º places 224 º 09:24 Thu 8/30/2012

Honestly, I’d guess less than 80%. At least of the active users. Or at least I’d hope so.
It’s not like 80/90% of beers in the world are brewed in the USA, and (from my own experience) even small countries like Netherlands and Belgium have quite a vibrant rb community, and there are plenty countries with a growing appreciation for craft beer.

Then again, a lot of users out of many of the upcoming beer countries (e.g. Italy, Brazil, Spain) would need a website in their own language to really participate.

zimbo
beers 1019 º 02:06 Wed 10/17/2012

Could be worse. We could be called insurgents.

csano
07:52 Wed 10/17/2012

Or, we could call em the "Overweight Idiots" forums....More inclusive, right?

BURN! Yes, we have fat people, but not all of us are fat, I promise!