Oaking a Flanders Red

Reads 2833 • Replies 12 • Started Sunday, November 22, 2015 8:50:56 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sylvia40
beers 6 º 11:15 Fri 11/27/2015

It was still fermenting, but actively?....airlock bubble every 30 seconds. It’s still fermenting afterward, so perhaps it won’t be a problem, since some Belgian yeasts actually like higher temps. I mashed at about 155. I’ve never heard of adding starch. I’ll have to read up on that type of addition. "Down the line" would be two months from now? Does it matter?

Regardless of the possibility that this beer is doomed, it’s going to sit in my basement at 60 degrees for the winter and I’ll see what I get. Even if it isn’t perfect, if it sours, I’ll drink it. Thanks for the yeast info. I’ve been reading about yeast and it’s kind of overwhelming at first but I’ll eventually get the gist of it.

HornyDevil
13:04 Fri 11/27/2015

Originally posted by sylvia40
It was still fermenting, but actively?....airlock bubble every 30 seconds. It’s still fermenting afterward, so perhaps it won’t be a problem, since some Belgian yeasts actually like higher temps.

That’s good. If your ester profile was already set, the temporary increase in temperature might just cause the beer to finish and clean up a little bit faster.

Originally posted by sylvia40I’ve never heard of adding starch. I’ll have to read up on that type of addition. "Down the line" would be two months from now? Does it matter?

Not really, but I’d probably give the beer about 3 months before fucking with it too much.

Originally posted by sylvia40Regardless of the possibility that this beer is doomed, it’s going to sit in my basement at 60 degrees for the winter and I’ll see what I get. Even if it isn’t perfect, if it sours, I’ll drink it. Thanks for the yeast info. I’ve been reading about yeast and it’s kind of overwhelming at first but I’ll eventually get the gist of it.

If you’re on the Facebook, I’d recommend joining Milk the Funk, or at least checking out the wiki page.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Main_Page

If you’re planning on doing these types of beers on the regular, it has some very helpful information.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer