Odonata Beer To Relaunch

Reads 3666 • Replies 25 • Started Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:58:25 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 05:58 Wed 3/27/2013

We were just talking about this elsewhere.. and I don’t recall if this was posted..

But Odonata is relaunching:

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/odonata-beer-returning/

From the post/article:

I just heard from Tracy Bethune, one of the original investors in Odonata Beer, that she’s re-launching the brand, which was founded in 2009, but shut down in 2011. Peter Hoey, the original brewer, and co-founder, is not involved with the new company, nor is Rick Sellers, who was formerly married to Bethune. A new version of their Saison will be available in limited supply at events during this year’s Sacramento Beer Week, which began yesterday. Here’s what I know so far:

Odonata Beer Company’s limited reserve Cellar Aged Saison is a special release of our flagship Saison that has been conditioned in perfect Wine Cellar conditions. Like a fine wine, our Saison is traditionally designed to be aged and the bottle conditioning has allowed the live yeast to provide a very dry exquisitely herbal finish along with the refined tropical fruit notes which define our outstanding Saison. Drinkable and refreshing, this beer scored an impeccable 98/100 points before we laid it aside for cellar conditioning – and industry experts are calling our reserve inventory better than the original!

After a short hiatus, Odonata Beer is thrilled to announce it’s resurrection and our Reserve Saison is being made available only by arrangement as a celebration of our local establishments and the fine beer enthusiasts of Northern California!

Tracy also informs me that she’s working on getting a new facility open in the Sacramento area later this year.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 06:07 Wed 3/27/2013

So, basically they started back up to sell a bunch of old product?

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 09:16 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
So, basically they started back up to sell a bunch of old product?

aged reserve product. sounds way more expensive.

jake65
beers 4400 º places 158 º 09:27 Wed 3/27/2013

Maybe they’re liquidating inventory now that a divorce is final and assets have been distributed?

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 09:27 Wed 3/27/2013

Sounds shady.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:29 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by daknole
Sounds shady.

From what I’ve heard, there is a lot of deeper story around this Odonata stuff.

But, I at least wanted to put it out there that it’s getting relaunched.

And as Brian said, it appears they are selling old product to start.. and then on the path to a new brewery space.

CLevar
places 23 º 09:51 Wed 3/27/2013

I just want the old odonata saison again....

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 10:02 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by TheAlum
Sounds shady.

And as Brian said, it appears they are selling old product to start.. and then on the path to a new brewery space.

It’s really only Odonata in name only from the sounds of it. new brewer, different management, new brewery...

BMan1113VR
beers 7929 º places 423 º 10:44 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by TheAlum
Sounds shady.

It’s really only Odonata in name only from the sounds of it. new brewer, different management, new brewery...
yup, Peter has moved on to a brewer supply group, and is no longer attached to the product

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 10:55 Wed 3/27/2013

Wife of one guy is main investor of odonata, bitter divorce, funding stops, divorce finally over, ex wife has 1 batch of ba saison and rights to odonata name, decides she will relaunch brand name.

Thats my guess anyways, and is obviously something along those lines given the vague facts. Pretty sad, she should have just sold the stuff to vinnie or someone else to blend into something as a tribute or something and let the odonata name r.i.p.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:11 Wed 3/27/2013

One of the original owners has the name and recipe and is fairly far along in terms of establishing a new brewhouse and brewer, intends to respect the original recipe and plans to distinguish a line of farmhouse ales.

That all sounds good to me.

A separate line is planned for Rories and other non-farmhouse brews.