Odonata Beer To Relaunch

Reads 3667 • Replies 25 • Started Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:58:25 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:16 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by CLevar
I just want the old odonata saison again....

After tasting more of Stillwater and the variations and creativity of Tired Hands with the same/very similar yeast, the old Odonata brew has renewed appeal for its relatively stark simplicity.

At the same time, it has less of a "premium" appeal because of this same simplicity.

I hope increased volume will allow the beer to be more cost competitive, there’s a move to make a lower alcohol, Avril type version that I can buy by the 5 gallon keg, or there are some other fancy variants using the same yeast planned for the farmhouse line.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 11:43 Wed 3/27/2013

Wow, they are going to make rories again, named after peters first born, even though he is no longer involved?!?!

LtDan
beers 1808 º places 65 º 11:54 Wed 3/27/2013

Dicks.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 12:33 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by joet
One of the original owners has the name and recipe and is fairly far along in terms of establishing a new brewhouse and brewer, intends to respect the original recipe and plans to distinguish a line of farmhouse ales.

That all sounds good to me.

A separate line is planned for Rories and other non-farmhouse brews.

There’s more to a beer than recipe. I’d assume you already knew that. It’s hard enough to reproduce the same beer on a homebrew setup for consistency, much less moving to an entirely new kit, new brewer...

CLevar
places 23 º 12:40 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by LtDan
Dicks.

Sixpoint? Is that you?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 14:37 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by joet
One of the original owners has the name and recipe and is fairly far along in terms of establishing a new brewhouse and brewer, intends to respect the original recipe and plans to distinguish a line of farmhouse ales.

That all sounds good to me.

A separate line is planned for Rories and other non-farmhouse brews.

There’s more to a beer than recipe. I’d assume you already knew that. It’s hard enough to reproduce the same beer on a homebrew setup for consistency, much less moving to an entirely new kit, new brewer...

I’m a bit single minded about that yeast. One of the cleanest Wyeast 3724 brews available. Peter tried to be very true, an homage to the inspiring beer.

I’ve not heard a whole lot about what went down and I never cared to dig for more. Personal, familial issues of brewers are not my game. I did hear there were definitely two sides to the story.

IrishBoy
beers 4707 º places 141 º 15:01 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by CLevar
I just want the old odonata saison again....

I guess it may be time to pull that final bottle of the first batch Odonata Saison from the cellar to see how it aged even thought it is in the bottle, not in wine barrels in "perfect Wine Cellar" conditions.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 19:02 Wed 3/27/2013

According to that article, this is just bottles that have been aged the whole time in a wine cellar, not in barrels. This will be the same exact beer as before, just old.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 19:14 Wed 3/27/2013

. I did hear there were definitely two sides to the story.

There always is…

If anyone wants any store aged reserve Odonata Saison drop me a line. There’s plenty sitting in cold storage at several Bay Area stores.

IrishBoy
beers 4707 º places 141 º 19:55 Wed 3/27/2013

Originally posted by SamGamgee
According to that article, this is just bottles that have been aged the whole time in a wine cellar, not in barrels. This will be the same exact beer as before, just old.

I kept hearing from friends that the Odonata Saison was appearing in stores every once in a while in the Sacramento Davis areas so that is probably exactly it!